[SOLVED] Can I safely reuse potentially damaged parts?

Jul 6, 2020
My computer went through an unfortunate incident where I had a printer connected to a usb port on the motherboard, and when I went to plug the printer into a wall outlet, a spark came between the printer plug and the outlet. This killed the printer and left my computer in a state where it would turn on and the fans would start spinning but nothing would show on the monitor and it would turn off after a couple of seconds without any beep codes. I tried a couple of things such as rearranging the ram and resetting cmos, but nothing worked. I eventually removed everything except the motherboard, the power supply and the cpu and the same problem persisted. I tested the power supply with a psu tester and it seemed to be fine and that led me to believe that the problem was the motherboard, so I plan to buy a new motherboard of the same model. As I cannot test any of my other parts, will it be safe to try and reuse all the old parts with the new motherboard as it looks like there was no physical damage done to anything?

My specs: (cpu) Ryzen 5 2600, (mb) asrock b450m pro4, (ram) 16gb g.skill aegis 3000mhz, (gpu) 8gb sapphire pulse rx580, (psu) corsair vs450, (ssd) 240gb adata ultimate su650

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, and any poor formatting/grammar as I am on mobile. Any help/advice is appreciated!

Solution
Based on my experience, as long as the faulty not coming from the PSU, the other component will be fine. In this case, the faulty come from USB port connection. And usually, Motherboard and HDD/SSD is the most affect component by electrical faulty.
Aug 1, 2020
My computer went through an unfortunate incident where I had a printer connected to a usb port on the motherboard, and when I went to plug the printer into a wall outlet, a spark came between the printer plug and the outlet. This killed the printer and left my computer in a state where it would turn on and the fans would start spinning but nothing would show on the monitor and it would turn off after a couple of seconds without any beep codes. I tried a couple of things such as rearranging the ram and resetting cmos, but nothing worked. I eventually removed everything except the motherboard, the power supply and the cpu and the same problem persisted. I tested the power supply with a psu tester and it seemed to be fine and that led me to believe that the problem was the motherboard, so I plan to buy a new motherboard of the same model. As I cannot test any of my other parts, will it be safe to try and reuse all the old parts with the new motherboard as it looks like there was no physical damage done to anything?

My specs: (cpu) Ryzen 5 2600, (mb) asrock b450m pro4, (ram) 16gb g.skill aegis 3000mhz, (gpu) 8gb sapphire pulse rx580, (psu) corsair vs450, (ssd) 240gb adata ultimate su650

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, and any poor formatting/grammar as I am on mobile. Any help/advice is appreciated!

First i think your cpu will be fine it be the motherboard itself that is likely to be damaged.

Before rushing out and buying a new motherboard check the port where the printer was connected to your motherboard if it smells burnt then ditch your motherboard if not,

then find the point where you reset the bios to default and then retry booting it.

chance is the power disruption just triggered bad code to the bios resulting it not turning on.

on some motherboards its just a jumper you have to remove and re position on pins 2 and 3 other its a button to hold down for concern amount of time or you are required to use some form of metal to place across two points on the motherboard to short the bios into its default mode (the last being very old motherboards)

It may take 3 to 6 goes to get the bios into its default boot mode in order for the motherboard to boot up i would try that before rushing out buying a new motherboard.

As for the power supply if you motherboard is not boot then good chance there is some form of damage to the Power Supply Unit even if the test shows it good. i would test the power supply on another motherboard if you have old computer lying around test it over 24 hours just to be sure its has not been damaged.

I would say though good chance the mother board has recieved power surge back through its printer port that cause the motherboard itself to die.