Question Can I safely transfer some old files from a possibly infected computer ?

Garfieldwxg55

Commendable
Mar 30, 2021
Hi, so recently I installed some emulators in my AppData, and also messed around with the permissions in my AppData folder, which I made a post about yesterday. Anyway, it seems that I will have to reinstall Windows. However, I have a few files that were important to me (a few images, a txt file, a word document, and some folders with game saves/mods). When I realised that I was having issues, and would probably have to reinstall Windows, I copied those files to a backup drive of mine.
Anyway, I was wondering if these files will be safe to access off my backup drive? Or whether I need to leave them?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Garfieldwxg55

Commendable
Mar 30, 2021
Sorry, I should have linked the article from yesterday here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...sible-ruin-my-computer.3799932/#post-22953103
And I was actually considering backing up some of the more important files. However I messed up before I could do that. I'm fairly certain that it's just an issue of ruining my AppData folder, but there is a small doubt in my mind that it could be a virus.
So I just want to see if these files would be safe to use or not.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Assuming somehow the virus slips past Windows Defender, the virus has to be executed in order for it to actually do anything. Executed as in, the data in it is run as instructions on the CPU. Most of the files in AppData are simply interpreted as data, meaning it won't be executed as instructions.

So is it safe to transfer them over? Probably.