Can I salvage a CMOS battery from my old pc?

LeGeNdSChAoS

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Hey guys. So recently bought a 2nd hand motherboard. Everything was ok, except the fact that the BIOS resets every time I turn off the pc, and also the system clock changes. I though it may be from the CMOS battery. So question is, can I use the CMOS battery from my old pc, which works for sure. As far as I know both run on 1.3V though I'm not entirely sure if both are from the same manufacturer.

Solution
Any CR2032 will do.
YOu can salvage such battery but you can not know if it is still working without a voltmeter/multimeter.
Buying a new one will also cost very little. I paid max USD2 for such a thing.
Manufacturer is not important, that's what standards are for. Most are of CR2032 type where designation means:
CR- lithium battery
20 - 20mm diameter
32- Thickness 32* 0.1 mm
Such battery as new should have 3v. At 2.93v can already start making problems.

LeGeNdSChAoS

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Yea the one in my old computer is a cr2032. Though as far as i know w cmos battery keeps informstion for the bios. If i just replace my current one with a used cmos battery, wouldnt information of the 2 bioses overlap and break something. Or I may be mistaken, i dont know.

LeGeNdSChAoS

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Well computer hardware is kind of tricky to find where i live but I'll find a store to get a new cmos battery. But in the meanwhile, I'll try the one from my old pc. I'll let you know what happens.

LeGeNdSChAoS

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Ok bought a new cmos battery from the store. Same problem, when i update bios by using asus ez flash utility, it just restarts and when i check bios information again, its still on previous version.

LeGeNdSChAoS

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Jesus christ, never mind. Just saw that the version of bios i was installing was posted 2014, and cpuz was saying 2009 that's why i got confused. Actual version was updated though. Or I hope so at least.