[SOLVED] Can I Scan/Repair Individual Files

WanderMoon

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
Hi I hope this is the right forum section to post this.

I have an external back up drive that has been having issues. I bought a subscription to back blaze, but think I waited too long while the drive was having issues. It was erroring a lot and I was needing to run chkdisk to scan and repair quite a bit. Now when I try and run chkdisk it says there was a problem. I can open the drive and view files, but a lot of them are corrupted and backblaze says its unable to back it up.

At this point I was hoping to save individual files instead of the whole drive it is still under warranty, One of the files is a note pad with passwords on it but when I open it, it's just a bunch of scrambled letters and symbols.

It's a seagate 8TB. I'm not sure if seagate themselves could save the files, but I'm also not sure if they could if I'd want them to? Would they view my files at all?

Is there a way I can repair the files I really want to keep myself before mailing it in on warranty?

USAFRet

Titan
"an external back up drive "
...is a backup. A second/third copy. Not the only copy.

Seagate won't recover your data. Assuming warranty, they'll send you a new/refurbed drive.
The existing physical drive you send them might get disassembled and parts used for others. Or simply tossed.

Data protection is your responsibility.

CHKDSK was a bad thing to do on a drive with physical problems. Your best DIY approach would be to clone the drive with a tool such as HDDSuperClone, and then run data recovery software against the clone.

Your SMART report will probably show numerous reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors. If you continue to work with a drive in this state, it will only degrade further.

Seagate do offer free data recovery in some circumstances. It would be worth asking them.

WanderMoon

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
CHKDSK was a bad thing to do on a drive with physical problems. Your best DIY approach would be to clone the drive with a tool such as HDDSuperClone, and then run data recovery software against the clone.

Your SMART report will probably show numerous reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors. If you continue to work with a drive in this state, it will only degrade further.

Seagate do offer free data recovery in some circumstances. It would be worth asking them.

Well could I clone only certain folders and files, because I don't have another 8TB drive. I was able to copy the folders and files I wanted most to one my HDD, but at the point I did some of the files are corrupted and it stopped around 75% so I didn't get everything. Can they be recovered if copied while corrupted or no? That was pretty much the last thing I was able to do before it would not process any tasks and act as if it was unplugged or unrecognized.

I was using it as storage, I guess not a back up. I might actually have the most important files backed up another drive, but I need to find it first.