[SOLVED] Can I screw through an EK CoolStream Classic SE 360 Rad?

Ronnie30

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
I'm trying to install a new radiator in the front of my case, with the fans on the inside in a pull configuration. I was able to install it without issue, but my new layout requires that I mount my pump/res combo to the fan. I picked up an EK Uni Pump 120mm fan mount (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-uni-pump-bracket-120mm-fan-vertical) but the rad screw seems just slightly too short now. It comes with 30mm screws which is sufficient to go through the fan, the case mount and the rad, but the added 1mm of the pump mount, plus the 1-2mm increase because the screw is no longer countersunk means that it's too short. I've spent 2 weeks with my PC in parts, looking for a 35-40mm long screw, but I can't find one with the same threading.

I'm wondering if I can use the 30mm screw to go through the front of the rad to the back, and then into the fan, and secure it with a nut. Then use a small (5mm) nut and bolt on the other side of the fan to secure the pump. I did test by screwing one of the 30mm screws through the rad, but a family member says that I bent the fins when I did that. I can't see any bent fins, but also, does it matter? As long as it's not cracked and water continues to flow through, bent fins shouldn't really be an issue right? Does anyone know if it's safe to send the screw through the rad? As you can see below, I can fit a nut on both sides of the fan...won't be easy doing the back end, but I haven't found another solution.

PXL-20210103-061034506.jpg

PXL-20210103-061106973.jpg

Ronnie30

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
I wasn't going to support it to the fins. There's a bracket on both sides of the fins. The screw would go through both brackets, the case and the fan. It would just go through the fins, as well.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1" = 25mm. ¼" = 6mm. You need 1¼" 6/32 panhead screws. That'll put you at @ 31mm.

No, you can't screw through the radiator. Underneath those screw holes is the water jackets, the tubing carrying the coolant, which is why you also can't use 40mm or 1½" screws either, you run the risk of puncture or ripping a fin off the sleeve where it's welded.

There's generally @ 3mm of clearance under those holes to play with.