Can I separate home and business with Xfinity?

Aug 14, 2018
First, I know VERY LITTLE about networking. I was able to set up a home network but I'm not sure how secure it was.
I have Comcast internet service. I have a work computer that is connected to the gateway via ethernet. I had Comcast turn off Wifi on the gateway. I am using another ISP for the other desktop in the house and for wifi to other devices-tablets, etc. However,I want to eliminate the extra expense of the other ISP.
Is there a way to do that and keep my work computer isolated or on a separate network from the other computer and devices because I need my computer to be secure?

Solution

As long as you have the WAN port of the second router plugged into the LAN port on the Xfinity router, then the second router will treat all traffic on the Xfinity "home" network just like the internet. Nothing unsolicited can get to a computer plugged into a LAN port on the second router. You just need to be sure your second router is configured with a different LAN subnet than the Xfinity IP addresses.

kanewolf

Titan
There are a couple levels of security. First would be to get good enough hardware (switch or router) that you can implement VLANs. This creates virtual networks that traffic is not allowed between. Second would be to get a business class router that would create one set of IPs for your business computer and a second set subnet of IPs for the home. That is VLANs++ .

If you want to keep xfinity, you would want to use their equipment as just a modem and add your own router.

The simplistic way to do this is to just insert a router between your work computer and the main ISP router.

Just like machines on the internet can not access your internal machine the machines on your home network will not be able to pass through the second router to access your work machine.

There is the issue of running 2 routers in the path but this mostly affects game consoles.

You could use a actual firewall instead but there likely is little advantage.

kanewolf

Titan

As long as you have the WAN port of the second router plugged into the LAN port on the Xfinity router, then the second router will treat all traffic on the Xfinity "home" network just like the internet. Nothing unsolicited can get to a computer plugged into a LAN port on the second router. You just need to be sure your second router is configured with a different LAN subnet than the Xfinity IP addresses.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS