[SOLVED] Can I set up a Home Network (No Internet) with an Aztech WL559E?

JohnTaylorHK

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
I have used Windows 10 Home Network to successfully connect a server and several clients over wifi. I am just using file explorer on the client to play video which is on a share on the server. Regularly, the video pauses, drops sync with the audio or just halts.

I guess possible issues are the computer server/client, windows 10, or the wifi router. I get the same symptoms when using a router from a different ISP. So my plan is to use an Aztech WL559E as an access point (we dont need internet for this application).

I set up the Aztech as per the manual, and can connect to its broadcasted signal. However, I cannot see the shared files, neither can I ping either the server's IP address, or the Aztech gateway address. I can see from the Aztech client list that I am connected.

I was initially concerned that the Aztech may have no DNS capability, so I added the server's name and IP address to my client's host file, but still was unable to ping the server. Maybe I am trying to achieve the impossible, but any help or further info would be appreciated. Note that the windows 10 home network (apart from the pausing etc) works fine for file transferring (albeit slow) etc. Namaste (John)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Without anything handing out IPv4 addresses via DHCP you are going to need to set fixed IP addresses on each device. It is exactly the same thing you'd have to do when connecting two computers directly to each other or through only a switch, not a router.

The Aztech could actually work like this if attached to the server because it has an AP mode, but yes a cheap router would not require such manual configuration . You can simply leave the router's WAN port unconnected.
Without anything handing out IPv4 addresses via DHCP you are going to need to set fixed IP addresses on each device. It is exactly the same thing you'd have to do when connecting two computers directly to each other or through only a switch, not a router.

The Aztech could actually work like this if attached to the server because it has an AP mode, but yes a cheap router would not require such manual configuration . You can simply leave the router's WAN port unconnected.

Reactions: JohnTaylorHK
Solution

JohnTaylorHK

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
Thanks for the replies. I have actually put it into AP mode. I appreciate it also has repeater capabilities, as that was its use in a previous life. I will try using another router which I have, the issue being that I wanted a minimalist solution to cut down as many sources of error as possible. Namaste.