Can i set up an OS dualboot without reinstalling current OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachary Collins

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
So i currently have windows 10, build 10162, and i like the OS X, especially since i do video editing, and i love the workflow. The problem is, everything on my PC is optimized for windows, and some things wouldnt work on a mac, and i didnt want to spend the money on a mac. I know its possible to dualboot some OS's so i want to know if theres a way i can just add an OS to my current pc. I have an extra HDD that i could put it on. And i want to put Yosemite on it, and i also have an intel CPU, nvidia card, which i believe is necessary for a hackintosh. Thanks for all the help i can get!!

Solution
A hackintosh violates the OSX EULA.

There's some debate as to whether discussing this is acceptable here.

I can say for some dual-boots you can simply install the OS with other drives unhooked, then use a program like BCDEdit to modify the boot procedure without reinstalling Windows.

such as:
1. Install the new OS
2. Hook back up Windows drive
3. Modify bootup to link to other OS
4. Should appear in MSCONFIG in Windows if you want to swap the bootup.

Trying to be nice so I'll leave it there.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
You can do a repair installation as described in a PC Magazine article and elsewhere.
APC has other instructions on dual-boot.
TechSpot used to offer the most complete instructions for specific combinations of systems.

A hackintosh violates the OSX EULA.

There's some debate as to whether discussing this is acceptable here.

I can say for some dual-boots you can simply install the OS with other drives unhooked, then use a program like BCDEdit to modify the boot procedure without reinstalling Windows.

such as:
1. Install the new OS
2. Hook back up Windows drive
3. Modify bootup to link to other OS
4. Should appear in MSCONFIG in Windows if you want to swap the bootup.

Trying to be nice so I'll leave it there.

Solution

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
It would seem to be a better idea to install the OSx and use their software that allows running Microsoft programs. With the arrival of UEFI I think it is a waste of time as well and potentially dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.