[SOLVED] Can I set up RAID 1 on a running SBS 2011 server while its still running with Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Oct 3, 2019
We have a server running with 2 same disks and I would like to enable RAID 1.

If I choose RAID 1 I can choose the 2 disks where the first disk is the current runing OS Windows SBS 2011.

I see that I can choose to keep data on the first disk.

But what will happen if I make the RAID, will the server restart and will it boot up again after the cloning.

Or will the server not be affected, because right now I need to know if it needs to be done after buisness hours or during, and if the OS is still bootable after.

Solution
It will clone the disk and it will boot up as if there is one disk there I have done this before.

That said DEFINITELY do this off business hours, the cloning process will slow everything down, and there is always the chance of failure. And with people working you will have files changing making cloning properly impossible. Have a good backup image of the whole drive before you do this, at night, while no one is accessing it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
It will clone the disk and it will boot up as if there is one disk there I have done this before.

That said DEFINITELY do this off business hours, the cloning process will slow everything down, and there is always the chance of failure. And with people working you will have files changing making cloning properly impossible. Have a good backup image of the whole drive before you do this, at night, while no one is accessing it.

Solution
Oct 3, 2019

The big problem is that our backups with Acronis keeps failing due to snapshot making issues, so I think that maybe the HDD will fail soon, also had a BSOD for the first time last week.
So I want to be quick with making a RAID 1 setup before it is to late, if the RAID will fail there is only a restore point of a week ago witch will be a huge problem.
But you would say that the it could be done and it should keep working in theory, but do if after buisness hours due to heavy load and file changing?

Edit: also will the server restart after the setup of the RAID 1?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If you have a failing hard drive making a RAID 1 to try and save yourself is a REALLY Bad idea.

You need to take that server down, off hours, and use something to clone the drive. Even if you have to remove the drive and plug it into another system and use that system to do the cloning.

Before you even do that go in there and copy off any critical files.

Making a RAID mirror is a lot of disk I/O, and you may be making an exact copy of bad data. AND if the drive is failing it will probably put the nail in the coffin.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If I were you I would install Acronis on another system and plug these two drives into that system and have Acronis clone the drive.

If you don't want to go with plugging them in directly then you can buy at any computer store an external drive bay like this

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Dual-Bay-Docking-Function-FD2002/dp/B00N1KXE9K?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

which you can use to do the cloning.

I am assuming these are SATA and not SAS drives. Whats the make and model of the server?

Oct 3, 2019
They installed the server before I worked there, but they have a Wortmann AG Terrra Server with a Intel Xeon E31225 and 12 GB RAM.
The HDD are 2x Toshiba MK1002TSKB, there hotswappable on the front, with regular SATA ports (so no SAS i believe).
Witch Acronis program do you mean for cloning because we only have Acronis Backup and Recovery 11.
I have spare computers to clone it so that is no problem.
Is there no windows utility or something else to clone the drive, or freeware software?

EDIT: with a Intel Server Board S1200KP

Oct 3, 2019
Once you clone the drive and have it up and running on only that drive then I would set up a RAID 1 Mirror so you can avoid this drive failure problem in the future.
Yes ofcourse, I don't know why the RAID wasn't active because there are 2 HDD of the same type and one is not used, and Intel Rapid Tech is also installed.

Do you also have advice on freeware for testing the HDD to be sure it is the HDD?
Probably best to do the clone and let the other drive take over the server before testing it, just to be sure i guess.

Oct 3, 2019
If i need to replace the disk, witch seems to be needed, would SSD be good for work on servers lets say the Samsung 860 evo 1TB in RAID 1?
I only dont know if there are brackets for the SATA swappable ports, those are 3.5 HDD size

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If i need to replace the disk, witch seems to be needed, would SSD be good for work on servers lets say the Samsung 860 evo 1TB in RAID 1?
I only dont know if there are brackets for the SATA swappable ports, those are 3.5 HDD size

I would not use SSDs in this scenario, especially not consumer grade SSDs.

First off its a server you're not running programs off it but instead hosting data, you won't see the speed increases. Secondly if and when SSDs die you have basically no data recovery options. For less than half the price you can get more than twice the storage in Enterprise grade hard drives which are the proper devices to be used here.

Oct 3, 2019
First of all thanks for all your help, I will give it a try.

Secondly just a final question:
When I'm done replacing the HDD with the spare 1TB HDD can I then setup RAID 1 from that HDD to a biger new HDD, and let that bigger new HDD take over the system?
And then as a second step replace the 1TB HDD also with a new bigger HDD and clone it to that disk for the final new RAID 1 on a bigger HDD (so that in the end I replace both HDD with new and bigger one)?

And witch Enterprise HDD brand/model would you suggest to use for a good reliability and durability and affordable?

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
First of all thanks for all your help, I will give it a try.

Secondly just a final question:
When I'm done replacing the HDD with the spare 1TB HDD can I then setup RAID 1 from that HDD to a biger new HDD, and let that bigger new HDD take over the system?
And then as a second step replace the 1TB HDD also with a new bigger HDD and clone it to that disk for the final new RAID 1 on a bigger HDD (so that in the end I replace both HDD with new and bigger one)?

And witch Enterprise HDD brand/model would you suggest to use for a good reliability and durability and affordable?

No you should not do that. RAID 1 should be used between identical hardware. If you want to move to a bigger size drive I suggest MANUALLY cloning your hard drive to a larger one and using a second identical larger drive to build the RAID 1. RAID 1 should not be used in the cloning process it should be the end point once you have your main drive configured.

IMO you can't go wrong with either Seagate Exos or Western Digital Ultrastar. Some people say Seagate is bad but thats based on old data related to one of their 3TB models that failed often. Its since been fixed, years ago. I use Seagate in everything and have had no problems.