[SOLVED] Can I setup a MoCA network?

xShoot4WarAmpsx

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
Im looking to see if anyone can assist me in determining if I can use a MoCA network with my setup or not. I dont want to spend $200 on adapters to find out it wont work.

My Internet enters the home through Coax and connects to my Modem. There are devices connected directly to the modem and one ethernet that connects to an Ethernet over Power adapter. The other EoP adapter is plugged into an outlet in a 2nd room where the wireless signal is too weak and connects to an old router I repurposed as a switch which has a laptop, Desktop and Xbox connected to it.

Now if I run a speed test from the modem I get 100mbps however in the 2nd room that drops to 20mbps. I want to improve that. I have a coax port in the 2nd room so that part is not a problem but I only have the one Coax port in the room with the modem? Does a splitter work in this situation? What do9 I need to make this work? I have never worked with MoCA before.

It depends if the 2 coax jacks are actually connected. If there is a splitter in the wall so that the one port by the modem has a connection to the ISP and to the other room you can use moca. It takes a slightly different setup and you need a filter to block the signals from the moca getting back to the ISP. They have a diagram on how to set that up.

xShoot4WarAmpsx

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
It depends if the 2 coax jacks are actually connected. If there is a splitter in the wall so that the one port by the modem has a connection to the ISP and to the other room you can use moca. It takes a slightly different setup and you need a filter to block the signals from the moca getting back to the ISP. They have a diagram on how to set that up.

Imagine the would be connected. Both Coax ports were used for Cable TV at one point when we had the modem in a different room. We moved it due to weak wifi. What would I need to do to block the ISP and MoCA from coliding?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
your main router has to be moca able. it is what the moca adapter will talk to when it negotiates for access to the internet.

if it is not capable, then you need one that is to do it. if you're router is capable already then an adapter compatible with the moca version of the router is all you would need.

splitting the coax from the wall is not a problem either. i have a moca set-up and the adapter is plugged into a splitter with no problem.

not sure what the filter is supposed to be for as i do not have any and have no problems. the moca capable router handles the work on its own as it is supposed to.

USAFRet

Titan
your main router has to be moca able. it is what the moca adapter will talk to when it negotiates for access to the internet.

if it is not capable, then you need one that is to do it. if you're router is capable already then an adapter compatible with the moca version of the router is all you would need.
Or simply 2x MOCA devices.
One next to the router, one at the remote location.

They are often sold in pairs.

xShoot4WarAmpsx

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
oh yah forgot they could work that way as well. makes it easier if router is not capable already

good call :)
Router I dont believe is MoCA capable its a Hitron CGN3U

I just dont get how it works. Ethernet over power is simple enough, just connect the ethernet to both adapters and done. MoCA is more complicated as theres only 1 coax per room and the Router only has one coax as well so im not sure how everything connects.

USAFRet

Titan
Router I dont believe is MoCA capable its a Hitron CGN3U

I just dont get how it works. Ethernet over power is simple enough, just connect the ethernet to both adapters and done. MoCA is more complicated as theres only 1 coax per room and the Router only has one coax as well so im not sure how everything connects.
MOCA, thusly...

Router -> short Cat5e ->MOCA device -> coax cable -> MOCA device -> short Cat5e -> PC.

The MOCA devices and the coax are substituting for a straight ethernet cable.
Pretty much exactly the same as powerline, just house coax instead of the house elec wiring, and slightly different adapters on each end.

xShoot4WarAmpsx

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
MOCA, thusly...

Router -> short Cat5e ->MOCA device -> coax cable -> MOCA device -> short Cat5e -> PC.

The MOCA devices and the coax are substituting for a straight ethernet cable.
Pretty much exactly the same as powerline, just house coax instead of the house elec wiring, and slightly different adapters on each end.

Thats the part that confuses me. The Coax currently goes into my Modem to get internet. If I connect the Coax to the MoCA device my modem wont get internet.

USAFRet

Titan
Thats the part that confuses me. The Coax currently goes into my Modem to get internet. If I connect the Coax to the MoCA device my modem wont get internet.
Right.

Your router has ethernet ports?
Use one of those.

What specific modem/router device is this? Make/model, please.
It may already be MOCA enabled.
But if not, no worries....the coax I referred to in my above description is the rest of the house coax.