[SOLVED] can i setup my nas like this?

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
so my nas has 2x2.5gbe ports that can be linked. Is it possible to combine cables from those 2 ports into 1 on my switch and get the full 5gbe?

Solution
Before you go to lots of trouble is the disk system in your NAS even capable of using 1 2.5g port. Partially this is going to be based on the way you have the disk raid setup but it also greatly depends on the application and file structures. Generally the best speeds are going to be reading large single files.

You also must consider the machine on the other end talking to the nas it will be limited to 1gbit unless it too has faster ports.

In general you can not bond 2 ports together and get double the speed on a single file transfer. This is partially because of how the standard form of port aggregation chooses which path to send the data down. It select the path mathmatically based on ip and port numbers. So all traffic...
Before you go to lots of trouble is the disk system in your NAS even capable of using 1 2.5g port. Partially this is going to be based on the way you have the disk raid setup but it also greatly depends on the application and file structures. Generally the best speeds are going to be reading large single files.

You also must consider the machine on the other end talking to the nas it will be limited to 1gbit unless it too has faster ports.

In general you can not bond 2 ports together and get double the speed on a single file transfer. This is partially because of how the standard form of port aggregation chooses which path to send the data down. It select the path mathmatically based on ip and port numbers. So all traffic from a single session will only use 1 cable. There are some proprietary forms of port bonding but most switches do not support them. These proprietary system many times cause issues because they cause a packet out of order problem.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
Ahh I see. That makes sense. I just recently upgraded my PC's NIC to 10g so I'll have to see if it can use up the full 2.5g. But it was maxing out the 1g bandwidth. Thanks for the answer.

Ahh I see. That makes sense. I just recently upgraded my PC's NIC to 10g so I'll have to see if it can use up the full 2.5g. But it was maxing out the 1g bandwidth. Thanks for the answer.
I would check to see what type of bandwidth you get out of the nas on a single 2.5 for sure. And honestly, I would just let the second 2.5 just get a second IP and you can manually balance what you need on that second IP as needed--ie set up a large long file transfer on it while you use the other IP for other activities. This essentially is using both ports for more bandwidth.

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I would check to see what type of bandwidth you get out of the nas on a single 2.5 for sure. And honestly, I would just let the second 2.5 just get a second IP and you can manually balance what you need on that second IP as needed--ie set up a large long file transfer on it while you use the other IP for other activities. This essentially is using both ports for more bandwidth.
The problem with this is that my switch only has 2x10G ports. But this won't be a problem once I get this new switch with 4x10G ports