Question Can I share a desktop internet connection with my phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyfarmer

Reputable
Mar 11, 2018
Is it possible to share a desktop computer's internet connection with my phone?

I'm trying to do this at work as there is no wifi where I am in the building. The computers I use have windows 10 and a wired ethernet connection. I'm not even sure where the routers or switches are, so ideally, if it's possible, I would just like to plug my phone into the computer and have internet access through the companies internet rather than through my phone's data.
I have a Google pixel 3 phone that I am trying to do this on.

If it can be done, I would appreciate it if someone could share some info on how I can do this. I've tried searching Google but haven't really found an answer to my question. I did find a site that said it could be done by installing software on the PC, but I won't be able to install anything on the computer as I don't have to permissions to do so.

Thanks to anyone who helps

jimmyfarmer

Reputable
Mar 11, 2018
I'm trying to do this under the radar so asking it is not an option.

I mostly just want to be able to stream the NHL playoffs, not even that I'm watching it, more that I can listen to it then if there is a goal I can watch it. I used all of my full speed cellular data for the month already streaming a couple of games Monday night and now my throttled back speeds are too slow to do it so I'm trying to find a solution.

On this particular computer I do not have administrator privileges.

If I was to buy a USB c to ethernet adapter, would that give me internet access or would I still need to install software on the computer?

Do you really want to risk your job. Better to spend the money for your data plan and keep you pay check that pays for your cell phone

It is kinda strange they do not have a guest wifi but they likely have their reasons. In general they do not want unauthorized devices on their network. You can have any idiot hook up some device that has malware on it and it will spread inside the company.

If you do not have admin privileges you likely have no way to accomplish what you want. If you had full control you might get some kind of network sharing setup. There are a couple ways to do it but even if you did have access I would suspect the IT department has rules against it.

I pay $25/mo for Visible prepaid cellular, which is Verizon's prepaid service. It's $40/mo normally but you can share with several other people on separate bills, so it's only $25/mo with 4 friends on the plan. I get unlimited data, though youtube and stuff like that are limited to 480p video, which is actually fine on a small phone screen. I average about 80GB/mo of data, lol. I don't pay a dime over $25/mo, taxes and fees are all included for that price.

Like others have said, you could install a wifi dongle and install wifi hotspots software if you had permission. But that's a huge security risk, companies don't want outside access to their network from unauthorized devices. This is a huge no-no.

Your only choice is to get a better phone plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.