Can I SLI in this configuration?

Gil maia

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
Hey, I'm planning on buying the ASRock Z87M Extreme4 to set up an SLI rig on a bitfenix pandora. Originally I was thinking about putting the cards on the first and third slots but then I thought, because the pandora is a 5slot m-atx case I wonder if I could move the 2nd card to the 4th slot and eventually put a pcie ssd on the slot in the middle.
So, the questions:
Will the graphics card work on the last slot? (gtx 970)
Will a core I5 4670k handle two gtx 970's and a PCIe ssd?

Solution
For SLI you must use pci-e slot 1 and 3, PCI-e slot 4 is only 4x and will not work for SLI. The 4670k only has 16 pci-e lanes available and with SLI the 2 need pci-e slots will use all these lanes(both running at 8x each), so im not sure if it will work as the motherboard lacks a PLX chip for more pci-e lanes. But not sure how much that is going to matter since the 2nd 970 will be blocking the slot unless you use a water cooling and a 1 slot water block.

bignastyid

Titan
For SLI you must use pci-e slot 1 and 3, PCI-e slot 4 is only 4x and will not work for SLI. The 4670k only has 16 pci-e lanes available and with SLI the 2 need pci-e slots will use all these lanes(both running at 8x each), so im not sure if it will work as the motherboard lacks a PLX chip for more pci-e lanes. But not sure how much that is going to matter since the 2nd 970 will be blocking the slot unless you use a water cooling and a 1 slot water block.

Solution

Gil maia

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

Thanks, very helpful.
I could try a ribbon cable on the last slot.
Do you think It would work?

Gil maia

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

Ok, I'll stick with the normal 2 way sli and a sata ssd. tnx