Question Can I split 4 pin cpu head to use my 4 pin pwm fan?

Apcoolboy

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
Hello all,

My old motherboard recently died and I replace it with another model. My old motherboard had one 3-pin cpu head. One 4-pin sys head. One 3-pin power fan head and another 3-pin sys head. Now new motherboard has one 4 pin cpu head and one 3 pin sys head only.

Now my case has total 2 fans (one 4 pin pwm exhaust and one 3 pin intake) and one cpu fan which is 3 pin. That 4 pin was connected to 4 pin and another 3 pin was connected to 3 pin power head in old mobo.

As I have one 4 pin pwm fan and one 3 pin fan and both need to connect where new mobo has only one 3 pin head. And one 4 pin cpu head. Is it possible to split that 4 pin cpu head to use that 4 pin pwm fan? That fan is just beside cpu and works as exhaust fan.

I want to control speed of that 4 pin pwm fan just because it is bit noisy when run at maximum speed on 3 pin head.

Or what would be best?
  1. Connect 4 pin pwm fan to 3 pin and reduced speed in bios. And connect 3 pin fan via molex cable.
  2. Connect 4 pin pwm fan with splitter on cpu head as both works as exhaust fan (if that possible, also my cpu fan has 3 pin only) and 3 pin fan to remaining 3 pin.
  3. Connect 3 pin cpu to 4 pin cpu head, 4 pin pwm fan to 3 pin sys head and remaining 3 pin fan to simply connect via molex or split it with 3 pin sys head. (4 pin exhaust fan and 3 pin intake fan)

Thanks in advance

Apcoolboy

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
In nutshell I want to connect 3 fans including cpu and has 2 heads including cpu head. Cpu head is 4 pin and one of my fan (exhaust fan) has 4 pin. Can I use both on cpu head with splitter? (cpu fan has 3 pin)