[SOLVED] Can I split a 6+2 connector in 6 pin and 8 pin for GPU?

Jun 18, 2020
Hi guys,
My current setup:
  • PSU(650W): only 1 PCIe powercable (6+2)
  • GTX 970 which requires 2x 6 pin. RIght now the 6+2 connector is split in 2x 6 pins with the extra 2 pins just flinging around at the moment
  • This is the current cablesetup You can see the 2 6 pins at the right and the 2 pin on the left

My problem: I want to upgrade to a GTX 2070 Super which requires a 6 pin and a 8 pin.

Question:
  • Can I just 'add' the 2 pins? So that I have one 6+2 pin and one the 6 pin? So one 6+2 pin and from that split to another 6 pin?
  • Or do I need a new PSU with more PCIe connectors?
  • Any other solutions?

I am really struggeling with this and I cannot find any clear answer online. Any help is really appreciated. You already have my thanks for reading this! Have a great day :)

Reactions: Carleonidas
Solution
to answer your question basically becasue no one understands what your saying, YES if you are talking about the one cable that has a 6 pin, and a 6+2 pin. the reason it has 2 connectors like that is to run a card that requires that

EDIT: saw the picture, yes thats meant for a card that uses 8pin, and 6 pin connectors! your fine

AzzenWazHere

Honorable
Apr 14, 2014
to answer your question basically becasue no one understands what your saying, YES if you are talking about the one cable that has a 6 pin, and a 6+2 pin. the reason it has 2 connectors like that is to run a card that requires that

EDIT: saw the picture, yes thats meant for a card that uses 8pin, and 6 pin connectors! your fine

Solution
Jun 18, 2020

Oh alright sorry for the confusion! I am not that technical in building PC's, thanks for your answer