Can I spray paint the tubing on a AIO water cooler?

TheBlackWidower

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
I am planning to get the Kraken x61, and I want to spray paint the tubing, not the radiator. Is it possible? Will I void my warranty?

Thanks,
TheBlackWidower

Solution
I expect it will void the warranty. Few things also, you need to make sure the paint does not attack the tubing, also as the tubes are flexible and paint is generally not you are likely to get cracks in the paint with the slightest movement of the tubes
I expect it will void the warranty. Few things also, you need to make sure the paint does not attack the tubing, also as the tubes are flexible and paint is generally not you are likely to get cracks in the paint with the slightest movement of the tubes

Solution

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

Asking if you can spray paint the tubing of your brand new closed loop cooler and not void the warranty isn't exactly an intelligent question.

McHenryB

Admirable
A good question with a not-at-all-obvious answer. I think the salient point is whether NZXT would consider this a "modification applied without permission from NZXT". I think the only way to be sure would be to ask them; they might even be able to suggest a sutable paint that would be flexible enough not to crack and which wouldn't affect the integrity of the tubes.

If they say "No" then it would be foolish to try it; bt if they say "Yes" then your warranty will still apply (it would then be an authorized modification).

McHenryB

Admirable

There are some paints designed for rubber hoses, and others for vinyl. It somewhat depends upon the composition of the tubes used in this product. I think the main concern is whether it would affect the integrity of the tube - hence my suggestion to ask the manufacturer.

etjrowe

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
I'm really surprised to see that no one has mentioned this, but there is a completely safe, cheap, and possibly reversible way to do what you want. I actually stumbled here seeing if anyone had tried it yet.

Plasti Dip!

Sure, it will most likely void your warranty. But it's technically not paint, it's a spray on rubber coating, thus is won't degrade rubber or plastic, is non-conductive, and will not crack when flexed (but will peel or tear if not applied well or over-stressed). In automotive applications, I've used it on all kinds of metal, rubber, plastic, glass, just about anything, including rubber and vinyl hoses and electrical wires. And if you use enough coats, it can even be peeled off (YMMV) down the road if you change you mind about the color, or...possible because you need to get a warranty repair (Might be tough to completely remove from small cracks) You can get it in tons of colors. It's really great stuff. I guess I love it a lot, because this sounds like an advertisement. But once you work with it, you'll find all kinds of other uses.