Can I stack my 2.5" external HDDs on top of each other?

kasazn

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Like the title said, can I stack them together on top of each other or near each other for a long period of time? I wonder this is safe or not?

This has been bugging me for a long time as I have a couple of external HDDs and I would like to store them safely together if possible.

Any input would be appreciated! :)

Solution
(1) As others have indicated, store in the antistatic bag.
(2) may be stacked, ONLY precaution, other than storing in the antistatic bag is to ensure that the the upper ones can not slip and fall. I've had used drives stored (4 and 5 on top one another) this way for over 5 years and worked fine.

If you are storing in a Usb encluser, again just make sure they will not fall.

kasazn

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Sorry if I have not made myself clear, they are 2.5" HDDs in USB 2.0 and 3.0 enclosures. I would like to stack them together, maybe put them in a bag or something similar. Your suggestion for anti-static bags are nice though, I am certainly putting that into consideration. :)

No, it isn't. All it would take is the metal drive chassis slipping and shorting something out on another drive. If you are going to stack and operate bare drives (done that), at least slip an antistatic bag between the two drives to act as an insulator.

Yes, the slightly, very slightly, conductive bage will act as an insulator.

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Yea, the only problems i've had was when i moved the drives during operation, and the metal of one drive contacted the circuit board of the other.

Vibration is the other thing. under stress the drives may vibrate and exceed their tolerances. secureing them and isolateing them so they don't actually touch. helps.

just don't put them inside the anti-static bag xD these things need to breath too.

2.5" x2 = 5" Not sure how you would be stacking them in one bay?

He's storing the drives, not operating them.

(1) As others have indicated, store in the antistatic bag.
(2) may be stacked, ONLY precaution, other than storing in the antistatic bag is to ensure that the the upper ones can not slip and fall. I've had used drives stored (4 and 5 on top one another) this way for over 5 years and worked fine.

If you are storing in a Usb encluser, again just make sure they will not fall.

Solution