[SOLVED] Can I start a PC without a monitor?

Solution
start with the motherboard manual. start at page 1 and go page by page checking if you did that piece right.

power and pin placements are usually the issue. i've built hundreds of pc's over the years and still miss a connection here and there. it's easy to do :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can turn it on and see if it passes the POST test but that's really all you can do with no monitor attached.

good enough to know if everything works if it passes the POST test but won't tell you anything else obviously. but it should still start up and all that no problem even without a monitor. assuming everything is working right anyway.

So would the lights and fans turn on without a monitor? And if it doesn't does that mean for sure that something is wrong?
Lights fans and the drive if it's a mechanical one you should hear it an ssd you can't tell if it's working, after a few seconds it should beep which should tell you that all is ok.If there is nothing lighting or spinning up there is a problem.

How does any household not have even one TV with HDMI/DP/VGA by now.

So would the lights and fans turn on without a monitor? And if it doesn't does that mean for sure that something is wrong?

Yes everything should start including lights and fans. If not you don't have something plugged in properly, most likely either missing some power connections or you wired the power button to the motherboard wrong. Make sure you go over the build properly, it's easy to kill components if you don't have things installed properly.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
start with the motherboard manual. start at page 1 and go page by page checking if you did that piece right.

power and pin placements are usually the issue. i've built hundreds of pc's over the years and still miss a connection here and there. it's easy to do :)

Solution
Mar 15, 2020

Tried all the suggestions but nothing is working. All I have is a orange LED light on my motherboard that lights up, but fans and everything won't start. Think I might just call an expert or something. :(

Mar 15, 2020
sounds like you've done all you can yourself. time to call in a pro who can gets hand on the system and get it running.

i hate it but only so much we can do on a forum. hands on makes things so much easier for sure
Ok so I ended up not having to call a pro. I just called my friend up, he did some black magic [CENSORED], and the fans and lights turned on! They stopped after a couple second, but I think its normal. Thanks your your help tho :)

DankM

BANNED
Mar 8, 2020
It doesn't need to be necessarily put in a case to work. A monitor is just for the display and the display is so you can actually use the operating system.

DankM

BANNED
Mar 8, 2020
It doesn't need to be necessarily put in a case to work. A monitor is just for the display and the display is so you can actually use the operating system.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
sorry but that is not normal. without a monitor the system would still boot completely into windows and sit there waiting for input. think about remote systems used for remote access. they never actually have a monitor hooked into them and they run 24/7 for long periods!!

if it does not stay running even without a monitor, there is still something goofed up with it.

Reactions: DankM
Mar 15, 2020
sorry but that is not normal. without a monitor the system would still boot completely into windows and sit there waiting for input. think about remote systems used for remote access. they never actually have a monitor hooked into them and they run 24/7 for long periods!!

if it does not stay running even without a monitor, there is still something goofed up with it.
Oh my bad I meant the graphics card fans stop running. The other fans are fine.

Mar 15, 2020
ok that's a different thing entirely. at idle the fan profile would stop spinning as the card was plenty cool enough.

that's much better.
UPDATE: Borrowed a monitor and keyboard from my friend and it goes to a screen that says it needs a boot device. Now I am trying to download windows 10 onto a USB, which is taking forever because of my [CENSORED] third-world country internet. Everything is going fine rn and again thx for your help.