Can I start PC without CPU cooler?

Mar 5, 2018
Just read this, don't post a comment too early.
I know this is a dumb question but in this particular situation, it actually isn't.

GA-AB350-Gaming motherboard with Ryzen 5 1600, can that work together out of the box?
Maybe yes for someone and maybe not. Because I'm buying this MOBO+CPU combo, I need to ask this. So let's say that GA-AB350-Gaming motherboard doesn't support anything but Ryzen 7 1700/1700x/1800x. When I get this MOBO+CPU, I want to test if it works.
So the easiest way to test if they are compatible is I think just to put the CPU on the place and run the PC without a cooler, because if it isn't working then I can easily turn off everything, get a Ryzen 7 from a friend and update my bios to latest version.

I hope that you understand what am I talking about, I'm a bit sloppy in the explanation... sorry for that.
So if you understand what I want to know, then my question isn't dumb:
Can I start PC without CPU cooler just to test if it boots and detects my CPU?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
What is your point? You can use Q-Flash to update the BIOS with the specified processor. You don't need to borrow another processor to update it. I would say that the default BIOS depends upon when it was manufactured.

drbones8472

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
ALL B350 Mobo's work with ALL R3 R5 R7 CPUs. I understand what you are asking/saying but yes it will work.

BUT...to answer your question, yes you can turn on a mobo without a CPU cooler on it. HOWEVER...it will only stay on for a few seconds before automatically shutting off due to too much heat.

Mar 5, 2018
I know it is compatible with Ryzen 5, but I'm not sure if it is out of box because it says:
default BIOS version for GA-AB350-Gaming is F2
BIOS version for Ryzen 5 1600 to work is F4

So do I NEED to update BIOS? By this I think yes, I hope what you are writing is true.