Can I still get the "free" Win10 update when re-installing Win8.1 that was previously upgraded?

sirhawkeye64

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
So I have to redo a computer from scratch that had Windows 10 on it, which was downloaded as part of the Free upgrade program for Windows 7/8/8.1 users. I have the original Windows 8.1 Pro disc and am going to use that to re-install Windows 8.1 Pro.
Now the computer had been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro during the free upgrade program this past year.
My question is will I be able to download Windows 10 update again for free since the CD key/activation key for the Windows 8.1 disc has been verified by MS already as being eligible for the free upgrade? OR am I going to have to purcahse a Windows 10 upgrade key?

(I have to re-install the OS due to virus and malware, as that's the best choice right now for that computer...)

Solution

Thats wrong answer if he had window 8.1 pro and microsoft gave him the option to upgrade.
If he accepted and officially activated once the os was installed and online.
Microsoft directly will make his windows 8 product key to a windows 10 key.
If he suddenly hates 10 for whatever reason, he can reformat reinstall 8 and use the product key that came with it originally or purchased.
No problems what so ever, a little...

Colif

Win 11 Master
No, don't use win 8.1 key. If PC has had win 10 on it before, it will auto activate.

When you reach the screen asking for a licence, click "I don't have a key" and once win 10 installed, it will auto activate. When you first upgraded to win 10 you got a digital entitlement to always install win 10 on that PC again.

sirhawkeye64

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
OK. Thanks. I'll have to go back and look. I didn't use my Microsoft account regularlly when I was using the PC. I generally use local logins, which aren't necessarily tied to an email account or MIcrosoft account. I'll have to go back through and see which of my Microsoft accounts I used for the upgrade.

Thats wrong answer if he had window 8.1 pro and microsoft gave him the option to upgrade.
If he accepted and officially activated once the os was installed and online.
Microsoft directly will make his windows 8 product key to a windows 10 key.
If he suddenly hates 10 for whatever reason, he can reformat reinstall 8 and use the product key that came with it originally or purchased.
No problems what so ever, a little secret, my windows 7 ultimate key retail was converted over to window 8 pro key retail after a 10 dollar promotion. "299.99" 2012
Three years later that free full product windows 8 key became a windows 10 key.

Sirhawk shouldn't have a problem unless he forgot to activate windows 10 as microsoft asked all people to do.
That would be the only way nullify his chances of using a free windows 10 os promotion.

Solution