[SOLVED] Can I still have DVD drive in case that doesn't support it?

ChrisRedfiedl

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hello everybody,

I have one question.
I have 12 years old case that is extremely obsolete.It's a midi tower case in which I install GTX 1080,so you may get the picture.I always bought components like GPU,CPU,MBO and rest,but I always get cheap on buying new case .I know it's stupid thing to do considering air flow,so I finally decided to buy new case.My 2 main problems are:
1.Size-90% of cases that I saw are Midi Towers and they are barely larger than my current case.My current case is 450mm long.
What dimensions would you suggest for normal gaming case?

2.DVD drive-I would like to get one of those cases with 3 fans in front and glass side,but the problem is they don't have DVD drive slot.

I rarely use DVD drive,around 10-15 times a year,and I don't want to spend money on external drives,so I was thinking,would it work if I open case and hook up standard DVD drive via SATA cable and use it for short periods of time for burning data on disks and once I'm done I just unhook it and close case?

Every comment is welcome.

Solution
Hello everybody,

I have one question.
I have 12 years old case that is extremely obsolete.It's a midi tower case in which I install GTX 1080,so you may get the picture.I always bought components like GPU,CPU,MBO and rest,but I always get cheap on buying new case .I know it's stupid thing to do considering air flow,so I finally decided to buy new case.My 2 main problems are:
1.Size-90% of cases that I saw are Midi Towers and they are barely larger than my current case.My current case is 450mm long.

2.DVD drive-I would like to get one of those cases with 3 fans in front and glass side,but the problem is they don't have DVD drive slot.

I rarely use DVD drive,around 10-15...
Hello everybody,

I have one question.

I rarely use DVD drive,around 10-15 times a year,and I don't want to spend money on external drives,so I was thinking,would it work if I open case and hook up standard DVD drive via SATA cable and use it for short periods of time for burning data on disks and once I'm done I just unhook it and close case?

Every comment is welcome.
For the DVD drive just get a USB external drive. They run like $40 and will work just fine.

For the case it all depends on the components you want to use. You can get some ITX cases that support GPUs up to 300+mm.

Reactions: ChrisRedfiedl
Solution