[SOLVED] Can I still use my 3200g on a 5000 series updated b450 motherboard?

Feb 16, 2023
I am planning to upgrade my cpu from a 3200g apu to a r5 5600. I know that for me to be able to use the new cpu, I need to update my B450 motherboard bios first to support 5000 series cpus. Will I still be able to use my pc even if the bios is already updated while still using a 3200g? I am also planning to sell my current apu (3200g) first then add that money to my savings so I can buy a r5 5600.

Solution
Thanks!
Yeah I forgot to mention, I have the Gigabyte b450 ds3h v2 mobo with the F1 bios verson. I want to update it to the F63 version but as I mentioned I am still hesitant.
3200G APU's use the Picasso code name. SMUChecker reports there is an SMU (ver. 4.30.86.0) for Picasso included in BIOS F63; your 3200G will function normally.

But read the update notes for all BIOS revisions between F1 and F63 as you may have to update to an intermediate BIOS or two across such a wide spread. And be sure to reset CMOS after the update; it may not be necessary but it's easy and perfectly safe.

And one other thing to note is this BIOS implements Win11 compatibility changes so it might enable UEFI operation by default. If your system drive...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the board has a BIOS update with A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.7. then everything under the sun(with regards to the Ryzen AM4 platform) will work, yes. Anything prior to that will still work mind you.

Might be worth mentioning the make and model of the motherboard and it's BIOS version, for the sake of relevance.

Feb 16, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the board has a BIOS update with A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.7. then everything under the sun(with regards to the Ryzen AM4 platform) will work, yes. Anything prior to that will still work mind you.

Might be worth mentioning the make and model of the motherboard and it's BIOS version, for the sake of relevance.
Thanks!
Yeah I forgot to mention, I have the Gigabyte b450 ds3h v2 mobo with the F1 bios verson. I want to update it to the F63 version but as I mentioned I am still hesitant.

Thanks!
3200G APU's use the Picasso code name. SMUChecker reports there is an SMU (ver. 4.30.86.0) for Picasso included in BIOS F63; your 3200G will function normally.

But read the update notes for all BIOS revisions between F1 and F63 as you may have to update to an intermediate BIOS or two across such a wide spread. And be sure to reset CMOS after the update; it may not be necessary but it's easy and perfectly safe.

And one other thing to note is this BIOS implements Win11 compatibility changes so it might enable UEFI operation by default. If your system drive was not initialized in GPT mode operation it won't start Windows in UEFI mode, in which case go into BIOS and change to Compatibility mode operation (or legacy mode, CSM mode or whatever Gigabyte might call it) and it will start Windows. You can then convert your MBR drive to GPT and then re-enable UEFI mode operation and Secure Boot for maximum on-line security.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 16, 2023

And one other thing to note is this BIOS implements Win11 compatibility changes so it might enable UEFI operation by default. If your system drive was not initialized in GPT mode operation it won't start Windows in UEFI mode, in which case go into BIOS and change to Compatibility mode operation (or legacy mode, CSM mode or whatever Gigabyte might call it) and it will start Windows. You can then convert your MBR drive to GPT and then re-enable UEFI mode operation and Secure Boot for maximum on-line security.
Oh I see... I thought I can go straight to the latest bios version because all the tutorials on youtube with the same motherboard as mine did it.

So does this mean I will need to update to all the previous versions first one by one? The gigabyte website for my specific motherboard goes from bios versions F1>F60>F61>F62>F63 .

Also I have been already running win11 currently at version F1 using the Windows Insider Program. Will I have problems if I update to the latest bios?

Last edited:
So does this mean I will need to update to all the previous versions first one by one? The gigabyte website for my specific motherboard goes from bios versions F1>F60>F61>F62>F63 .
Only if the release notes say you should.

I've no idea what issues a Windows Insider might face with a BIOS update. You might ask on one of the Microsoft forums or Windows Insider forums.