[SOLVED] Can I still use the W10 Key with a CLEAN INSTALL?

iCounterMyself

Honorable
Jul 24, 2016
I have an old laptop that upgraded to W10 from W7 plus I recently bought a few SSD's & I want to use them in the same laptop. Is it possible to extract the upgraded W10 key for a clean install of the OS but for the new SSD I have? If so what's the process & steps to do so. Thank you in advance!

Solution
And for future readers: If you have ever had a fully activated Windows 10 installation on a machine, and have not changed out the motherboard (and even on occasion when you have, but you have to call MS afterward), Windows 10 in the edition that was activated is still tied to that machine by a digital license.

If the activation doesn't occur on its own within a few days, then call Microsoft. They'll generally have you reactivated in under 10 minutes. I call Microsoft immediately if the activation does not take place automatically as part of the Windows 10 reinstall.

It's not necessary to buy an additional license.

USAFRet

Titan
I have an old laptop that upgraded to W10 from W7 plus I recently bought a few SSD's & I want to use them in the same laptop. Is it possible to extract the upgraded W10 key for a clean install of the OS but for the new SSD I have? If so what's the process & steps to do so. Thank you in advance!

When it asks for the license key, skip to the next step.
Reinstalling on a new drive in the same system does not need the license key.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
And for future readers: If you have ever had a fully activated Windows 10 installation on a machine, and have not changed out the motherboard (and even on occasion when you have, but you have to call MS afterward), Windows 10 in the edition that was activated is still tied to that machine by a digital license.

If the activation doesn't occur on its own within a few days, then call Microsoft. They'll generally have you reactivated in under 10 minutes. I call Microsoft immediately if the activation does not take place automatically as part of the Windows 10 reinstall.

Solution

iCounterMyself

Honorable
Jul 24, 2016

For future reference, may I have the 1(800) number you use for that?