Can i still use the windows 10 free upgrade on a different drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

V15VA

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
I have windows 8.1 Pro on my SSD and windows 7 home premium on my HDD(which I don't use). I want to have Windows 10 on my SSD.

I don't want to upgrade to windows 10 pro since when Microsoft switch to a subscription based service I would (presumably) have to pay more, for features I don't really use.

I understand that my windows 7 home premium is also eligible for the free upgrade and will upgrade to windows 10 home, which is fine for me.

So, if I were to upgrade to windows 10 on my HDD with windows 7, and then perform a clean install on my SSD, will it pick up that I already have a license or will I have to buy a windows 10 home license key?

Thanks in advance,

V15VA

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
1. Windows 10 Pro will not switch to a subscription based license. MS has stated this several times.

2. Install Win 7, activate it, do all the upgrades, and it whould Upgrade to WIn 10 Home just fine.
After, you can reinstall on the SSD.

Or, install WIn 7 on the SSD to start with, and then upgrade that to WIn 10.

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013
You can call Microsoft to save time and ask them to move your license to Windows 10, then you don't have to go through the process of installing Windows 7, doing all the upgrades then install Windows 10. 800-642-7676

V15VA

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013

First of all thank you very much for the speedy reply!!

Just to clarify if I were to go down the route of installing windows 7 on my ssd and then upgrading, would i need to buy another license since my windows 7 is one user and it has already been activated once, or will it not make a difference on the same hardware?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions!!

Thanks in advance,

V15VA

V15VA

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013

Again, thanks for the fast reply!

This is a very good idea, so if I were to give Microsoft my windows 7 product key would they upgrade me free of charge or would there be cost involved?

Thanks in advance,

V15VA

USAFRet

Titan

You can only use that Win 7 license on one PC at a time. If it is installed elsewhere, you can't use it on another PC at the same time.

V15VA

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013

Ah I see, thank you very much sir!!

V15VA

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013

One more quick question, I have a secondary drive with a few games on and my pictures and videos libraries, this is for my W8.1 on my SSD. If I upgraded to W10 on my SSD would I need to do anything to these files (aside from reinstalling programs) and/or would they be affected by the transition?

USAFRet

Titan

It should be fine. But as always, with any major change, hardware or software, have anything critical backed up elsewhere and offline.
Just in case.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS