Can I supply 8 pin connection for MSI GTX 1070 armor from 4 pin molex and 4 pin sata cables?

kasperikorpinen

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
I have dell precision T3500 with
a PSU of 525W.
There are available:
- 1x 6pin connector
- 1 x 4 pin molex (free)
- 1 x 4 pin sata

The MSI GTX 1070 gaming X 8G requires 1 6 pin and 1 8pin connecotrs but still only 150 w.
Currently I am running a GTX 760 with 170 w power need that I supply with 2 6 pin connectors. The second 6 pin connector is transformed from the 4pin molex and 4 pin sata.

Can I do the same and transform the 4 pin molex and the 4 pin sata to an 8 pin?

The PSU says that all 12vA, 12b & 12C(all 18A) can provide together 500w max and the 5v (20A) and 3.3v (20A) can provide together 150w. In addition there is one -12v (0,5A) and a +5VSB(4A) written on the PSU.

Can a combine the sources to a 8 pin connector somehow?

Thanks

Solution
There is a product which converts 2 Molex connecters to a PCI-E 8 pin:
https://www.amazon.com/Athena-Power-4-pin-PCI-Express-Cable-PCIE4628/dp/B0032MT0OU

Also get a molex splitter if you only have one free because the above converter requires 2.
Please also check to ensure the PSU supplies enough power over the molex connector since they are made for powering up drives, not high performance video cards. There should be a sticker on the PSU which states how much power is available on each connector.

bistwo

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
There is a product which converts 2 Molex connecters to a PCI-E 8 pin:
https://www.amazon.com/Athena-Power-4-pin-PCI-Express-Cable-PCIE4628/dp/B0032MT0OU

Also get a molex splitter if you only have one free because the above converter requires 2.
Please also check to ensure the PSU supplies enough power over the molex connector since they are made for powering up drives, not high performance video cards. There should be a sticker on the PSU which states how much power is available on each connector.

Solution
i would upgrade the psu, generic psu are quite poor at delivery those number in the spec.
and could either potentially set the psu on fire, or damage the connected device (mobo, gfx card)

quick google search show that t3500 uses a standard psu. you can confirm by physically measure the dimension.

once confirmed, even an entry level evga bronze 500-600w is much better.

Pick a 1070 that requires a single 8 pin or twin 6 pin - there are plenty about.

I have no qualms about running a converter cable to a 75w 6 pin.

That psu is a delta & is decent quality

I would however never run a 150w 8 pin from molex or sata cables.

You run the risk of melting the actual connectors , theyre not designed for that kind of current.