Question Can I supply more power to a gpu that doesn't have a 6-8 pin connector via a pci-e extension cable with a power input for overclocking?

Kekskopfgg

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
I have a i7-2600k 4.3Ghz, with 16GB of ram, a palit geforce 1050ti stormx 4gb and a p8p67 rev 3.1 mobo. I am slowly starting to get performance problems on my gpu side. I dont have enough money to upgrade my rig with new parts so started to get into overclocking. I noticed that my gpu does not have an additional power supply needed for overclocking the card, as the pci-e slot only outputs about 75w its not possible to increase the speed any further than 190mhz. Soldiering a female 6-8 pin power connector does seem to risky as other users on this platform have already pointed out. I also dont have the skill nor the trust in myself to put handy on my card like that.

The next possible solution that i found, would be using one of these:

https://www.caseking.de/kolink-pci-...c9mTENZJw3siFqrmvn72MpEWNw4cF63IaAv6VEALw_wcB

I am hoping that this cable could get me the additional 10-20 watts or so needed to overclock the card, but i fear this could lead to problems with the bios/firmaware/driver of the card, as its not directly intended that the card recieves more than 75 watts from the pci-e slot.

I know this attempt might just be very stupid or perfectly fine, but i just need some adwise from somebody with know-how on this topic.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I had a 75w amd rx460 graphics card that I flashed to a rx560 bios. That increased the required power from 75 to 80 watts and with some overclocking gpu-z showed my gpu was drawing around 85 watts underload. I never had any problems as a result of it. I'm sure there's some tolerance built into the design of most motherboards for higher power draws. Have you tried overclocking with your current setup? Your motherboard may already offer the extra power you're looking for.

Kekskopfgg

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
I had a 75w amd rx460 graphics card that I flashed to a rx560 bios. That increased the required power from 75 to 80 watts and with some overclocking gpu-z showed my gpu was drawing around 85 watts underload. I never had any problems as a result of it. I'm sure there's some tolerance built into the design of most motherboards for higher power draws. Have you tried overclocking with your current setup? Your motherboard may already offer the extra power you're looking for.

The mobo does sadly not offer that increased power, when i'm trying to oc the card via. the Thundermaster utility, the pc crashes when increasing the voltage due to it not beeing delivered by the mobo. When i' m using msi afterburner i dont even have the Option to increase the voltage. The BIOS does also have no option for increasing the power to any PCI-E slot.
So the PCI-E riser with the power cable seems like my only option.