Can I swap a CPU cooler?

LucAlvim

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
Hi.

So, I'm planning to get a new case and transfer my current PC's components into it, but I also want a new CPU cooler.

Right now I have an air cooler, so can I remove it and swap it for a liquid one?

Please help.

Solution
generally speaking yes, it's fine to swap an old air cooler for a new liquid cooler.

bear in mind that liquid coolers come with what can be a large radiator to dissipate the heat, so choose a case that fits the water cooler's radiator easily :)

good luck with your build!

dreamalittle

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
generally speaking yes, it's fine to swap an old air cooler for a new liquid cooler.

bear in mind that liquid coolers come with what can be a large radiator to dissipate the heat, so choose a case that fits the water cooler's radiator easily :)

good luck with your build!

Solution

LucAlvim

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016

I have an Alienware X51 R3 with a Core i7 - 6700 (not the K one). I plan to buy a Fractal Nano S so I can use a GTX 1070 and transfer all the X51's components into it. So, can I swap the cooler?

LucAlvim

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016

Thanks ;)

Ryan_78

Honorable

I thought so, but apparently not.
Why does he even want a liquid cooler?
The S24 is pretty good and quiet, but he doesn't need it at all! He can't even overclock his CPU. Like why waste money!

LucAlvim

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016

I am doing this because I need a new case that can support a GTX 1070, because the X51 cannot, and I am going to transfer the Alienware's components to the new case, as well as getting a new PSU and a CPU cooler.

TRENDING THREADS