[SOLVED] Can I swap different speeds of RAM?

Dec 23, 2020
Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well.

I want to fix up an old laptop to give to my younger brother for christmas. The laptop, (dell latitude e6430s) is in decent condition, but it only has 4gb of ram. I want to give it anything more than 5gb if ram, preferably 6gb or 8gb. I have another old laptop which screen is broken, dell latitude e5410 which I want to use as a donor laptop for ram to the e6430s. The e6430s has 4 gb of ddr3 sdram @1600mhz. It’s max capacity is 16 gb of ram, and has 2 slots, out of which one is occupied by the 4gb stick. The e5410 has 2gb, 3gb, or 4gb of RAM ( I don’t know which one because the screen won’t turn on and I can’t see what type it is) ( if I try to plug to an external display it won’t work ). The e5410 in running either 2gb 3gb, or 4gb at 1333mhz ddr3 sdram. If I take the stick of ram from the e5410 and put it in the e6410 will it work, or will my laptop explode? Also will this actually increase the performance or not?

Thanks for your help.

Solution

I want to fix up an old laptop to give to my younger brother for christmas. The laptop, (dell latitude e6430s) is in decent condition, but it only has 4gb of ram. I want to give it anything more than 5gb if ram, preferably 6gb or 8gb. I have another old laptop which screen is broken, dell latitude e5410 which I want to use as a donor laptop for ram to the e6430s. The e6430s has 4 gb of ddr3 sdram @1600mhz. It’s max capacity is 16 gb of ram, and has 2 slots, out of which one is occupied by the 4gb stick. The e5410 has 2gb, 3gb, or 4gb of RAM ( I don’t know which one because the screen won’t turn on and I can’t see what type it is) ( if I try to plug to an external display it won’t...

I want to fix up an old laptop to give to my younger brother for christmas. The laptop, (dell latitude e6430s) is in decent condition, but it only has 4gb of ram. I want to give it anything more than 5gb if ram, preferably 6gb or 8gb. I have another old laptop which screen is broken, dell latitude e5410 which I want to use as a donor laptop for ram to the e6430s. The e6430s has 4 gb of ddr3 sdram @1600mhz. It’s max capacity is 16 gb of ram, and has 2 slots, out of which one is occupied by the 4gb stick. The e5410 has 2gb, 3gb, or 4gb of RAM ( I don’t know which one because the screen won’t turn on and I can’t see what type it is) ( if I try to plug to an external display it won’t work ). The e5410 in running either 2gb 3gb, or 4gb at 1333mhz ddr3 sdram. If I take the stick of ram from the e5410 and put it in the e6410 will it work, or will my laptop explode? Also will this actually increase the performance or not?

Thanks for your help.
It will not "explode" but may not work either, all you can do is try just reset CMOS in between changes.

Solution