Question Can I swap fans on my power supply?

Dec 31, 2022
Hi all,

Noob question;

I have a EVGA 650 Bq power supply with a really noisy fan. I can dissamble the thing to get at the fan, which appears to be a model RL4Z T1352512H.

Looking online I can find RL4Z S1352512H on amazon. Anyone know what the difference between the T and the S is? Can I swap one out with the other?

Thanks,
Nick

just keep in mind when altering hardware;
if the unit is still under warranty this will void that warranty.
I have a EVGA 650 Bq power supply with a really noisy fan...

Looking online I can find RL4Z S1352512H
has this fan just become noisy over time or always been this way?

if it's always been this way then replacing with the same or similar model fan would more than likely cause it to still operate at the same decibel.

Dec 31, 2022
just keep in mind when altering hardware;
if the unit is still under warranty this will void that warranty.

has this fan just become noisy over time or always been this way?

if it's always been this way then replacing with the same or similar model fan would more than likely cause it to still operate at the same decibel.
It's never been "quiet", but it's definitely got worse over the past couple years. It's gotten to the point where it really sounds like it's grinding. What's weird is that if the computer is off for a while (i.e. a week), it comes back on real quiet, but after an hour or so, it goes "bad" again.

Dec 31, 2022
Working inside a PSU can be dangerous. This is not recommended for a "noob" or even most users, for that matter.
Appreciate the warning. As pappy used to say, the only way for people to learn about the dangers of high voltage capacitors is to get zapped once or twice.

USAFRet

Titan
Questions like this are actually 2 questions:

1. Can it be done? Can a fan in a power supply be swapped? The basic answer is Yes.

2. Can I do It? Much different, and generally No. If a person has the skills and experience to do this, they would have just done it, rather than asking "If".

Dec 31, 2022
Good luck with that. You have been warned. Make sure to notify your next of kin before the operation. ⚡:eek:🚨
Ha! Will do. But again, thanks for warning. I have actually had a little experience working with capacitors, and I have a rough sense of the dangers involved.

Dec 31, 2022
My other worry is the time and effort. This isn't a particularly good PSU or a new PSU, so I'd have a hard time spending any money or time repairing it for uncertain results.
The way the thing is wired, it's going to be easier for me to swap the fan, than it will be for me to swap the whole PSU.

Dec 31, 2022
Questions like this are actually 2 questions:

1. Can it be done? Can a fan in a power supply be swapped? The basic answer is Yes.

2. Can I do It? Much different, and generally No. If a person has the skills and experience to do this, they would have just done it, rather than asking "If".
Alright.... well I know I can swap it. Because I've already taken the old one out and then reinstalled it. I really just need to know whether the T1352512H fan is the same as the S1352512H.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I think the difference is type of bearing.
S1352512H = oil seal bearing
B1352512H = ball bearing, no sealing
T1352512H = Teflon Nano-Steel Bearing

my guess 135(width)25(depth)12(voltage)
H high speed??? (fans can have different speed while hitting the same flow point... depending on the aerodynamic loading on the blades due to different pitch/camber)

Last edited:
Reactions: NickCT
Dec 31, 2022
I think the difference is type of bearing.
S1352512H = oil seal bearing
B1352512H = ball bearing, no sealing
T1352512H = Teflon Nano-Steel Bearing

my guess 135(width)25(depth)12(voltage)
H high speed??? (fans can have different speed while hitting the same flow point... depending on the aerodynamic loading on the blades due to different pitch/camber)
Thank you! This is really the only thing I wanted to know!

Dec 31, 2022
So I wanted to get back and let folks know I just finished plugging in the new fan.

The old one had begun to get so bad that the PSU was overheating.

Replacing it wasn't too hard, and the new one seems to be working. Annoyingly the T135 is not the exact same size as the B135. The screw holes weren't in exactly the same place, so I had to get creative mounting it.

While I feel pretty impressed w/ my DIY abilities post-repair, I don't think this was a good idea. It would have been better for me to spend an extra $50 on a new PSU and then just deal with all the spaghetti I would have had to unwind to get it plugged in. I'm a little nervous about the half-ass mounting job I did to get the fan in there and a little nervous about the "flow points" mentioned above.

Anyways, PSU is nice and cool and quiet so far. I'll let y'all know if it blows up later.

I'm a little nervous about the half-ass mounting job I did to get the fan in there ...
If you're nervous about your own repair job, that's a bad sign. It also doesn't sound like the kind of repair where 'if there's no problem for a couple of days, there'll be no problem for a couple of years'.

If something goes bad, the PSU could take out the motherboard, CPU, GPU, disks and/or any combination of them. Catching fire or starting one isn't out of the question either.

Feels like a lot of risk to save $100 or so. If you'd swapped the fan out, everything good, then no problem, but when you yourself call it a half-assed job you're nervous about...