Question Can I swap my motherboard seamlessly?

TheDarkIce

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
Hello,

I am currently using Gigabyte H110M-S2 paired with an i5 7600k, Colorful GTX 1060 6gb and 2x 8gb ddr4 ram. I wanna swap to Asus B150M Pro Gaming while keeping everything else the same.

Will the swap be seamless without me needing to reinstall the os or will I have to go through extra steps to make this work?

As for why I'm doing this swap, I'm building a second pc with the old parts I have since they're just collecting dust. I basically only needed a new motherboard and thought I might just get myself a new, better one and use my current mobo for the other pc. The Asus mobo that I wanna swap to has nvme and 2 extra ram slots which my current motherboard lacks.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Best practice for motherboard change is a full reinstall. You may have a problem and not realize it for months.

Also, make sure the BIOS of the motherboard is updated. Kaby Lake compatibility wasn't a thing for that out of the box, and assuming it's used, the person who previously owned it may not have updated it themself.

Hello,

I am currently using Gigabyte H110M-S2 paired with an i5 7600k, Colorful GTX 1060 6gb and 2x 8gb ddr4 ram. I wanna swap to Asus B150M Pro Gaming while keeping everything else the same.

Will the swap be seamless without me needing to reinstall the os or will I have to go through extra steps to make this work?

As for why I'm doing this swap, I'm building a second pc with the old parts I have since they're just collecting dust. I basically only needed a new motherboard and thought I might just get myself a new, better one and use my current mobo for the other pc. The Asus mobo that I wanna swap to has nvme and 2 extra ram slots which my current motherboard lacks.
I would say in this instance you should be fine. I did it earlier this year as I was having board issues.

Hello,

In addition to the above, note that your Windows license is linked to the Gigabyte motherboard. So you would need to unlink it unless you want the computer built with that motherboard to be automatically licensed. Then you would need a new license for the Asus motherboard. You could check Microsoft's website for info on license transfer.

TRENDING THREADS