Question Can I swap my ssd from my Dell XPS 9550 to my Dells XPS 9560?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2022
Background: My Dell XPS 9550 (i7 chip) died (not a subject for discussion).

Summary: I would like to install my 1TB OEM SSD from my Dell XPS 9550 into my wife's Dell SPX 9560 which also has a 1TB OEM SSD. (by OEM I just mean it came with the Dell computer).

Question: Given that the laptops could be very similar, what is the likelihood of me being able to boot the XPS 9560 from my old SSD (from the XPS 9550) after just swapping the SSDs?

Follow up question: If success is likely, is there anything I can do to make the boot smoother or potentially mitigate future system issues?

Notes:
-Both systems/SSDs have Windows10 OEM installed (came with the computer)
-If anything, my old XPS 9550 had more drivers/updates installed (fairly regularly) than my wife's newer XPS 9560 as she barely uses her computer.
-my SSD appears to be functioning (ie I can access files after placing in an external enclosure).

Jan 6, 2024
Did you end up giving this a shot? How did it work out?

Asking because I just spilled some water on my 9550 and likely fried it. Seeking most hassle-free replacement--what can I stick the SSD in and have it run properly? Would prefer a somewhat more recent generation, 9560 or 9570, but am wary of complications.
Summary: I would like to install my 1TB OEM SSD from my Dell XPS 9550 into my wife's Dell SPX 9560 which also has a 1TB OEM SSD. (by OEM I just mean it came with the Dell computer).

Question: Given that the laptops could be very similar, what is the likelihood of me being able to boot the XPS 9560 from my old SSD (from the XPS 9550) after just swapping the SSDs?

Follow up question: If success is likely, is there anything I can do to make the boot smoother or potentially mitigate future system issues?

Notes:
-Both systems/SSDs have Windows10 OEM installed (came with the computer)
-If anything, my old XPS 9550 had more drivers/updates installed (fairly regularly) than my wife's newer XPS 9560 as she barely uses her computer.
-my SSD appears to be functioning (ie I can access files after placing in an external enclosure).

USAFRet

Titan
Did you end up giving this a shot? How did it work out?

Asking because I just spilled some water on my 9550 and likely fried it. Seeking most hassle-free replacement--what can I stick the SSD in and have it run properly? Would prefer a somewhat more recent generation, 9560 or 9570, but am wary of complications.
2 years later.....

Please don't dredge up ancient threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.