[SOLVED] Can I swap the HDD on my new PC with the SSD I already have?

Basinho0211

Prominent
Apr 6, 2020
I’ve recently bought a new ASUS gaming computer, but the problem is, it comes with a 1TB HDD. My old computer has a 1TB SSD, and is also an ASUS system, so is it possible to just take the HDD out and put the SSD in? They both have windows and I am planning on putting the HDD in my old computer.

Solution
When swapping HDD/SSD/M2 whatever it is, and it has a OS on it, it is better to do a clean and fresh installation of the OS, here is why.
The reason it won't work is that when you install an OS on the HDD/SSD it also installs specific drivers for the chipsets of the motherboard that it's using, so by taking that Storage with OS and putting it in a different PC with a different motherboard that has different Chipsets and Drivers, well, you understand what will happen.
(When I was young I tried it, and saw the beautiful screen of death xD)
1: So what I'm recommending is, download the Windows OS onto a USB Stick.
2: Take the SSD out of your old PC, replace it in your new one.
3: And lastly, do a fresh and clean installation of the...

xoutostrela

Honorable
Dec 19, 2017
When swapping HDD/SSD/M2 whatever it is, and it has a OS on it, it is better to do a clean and fresh installation of the OS, here is why.
The reason it won't work is that when you install an OS on the HDD/SSD it also installs specific drivers for the chipsets of the motherboard that it's using, so by taking that Storage with OS and putting it in a different PC with a different motherboard that has different Chipsets and Drivers, well, you understand what will happen.
(When I was young I tried it, and saw the beautiful screen of death xD)
1: So what I'm recommending is, download the Windows OS onto a USB Stick.
2: Take the SSD out of your old PC, replace it in your new one.
3: And lastly, do a fresh and clean installation of the Windows on the M.2! As it is faster that an regular SSD!

Hope I helped you and cleared your question mate!

Solution