Can I switch from a 6550M to a 6950M/6990M in a Lenovo Laptop?

eurosport360

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
As the titles says, is it possible to switch video cards in a Lenovo Y460p laptop?

I am very experienced with desktops, but I am just getting into laptops.

From PC Wizard 2010, the laptop's mobo has two PCIe-x16 ports which are used by the Radeon HD 6550M and a wi-fi adapter.

My questions are:

Are all mobile graphic cards the same size?
For example, a desktop, low-end Radeon 5000 series GPU that came out two years ago is a lot smaller than a desktop 6990.

Is this the same case with laptop video cards? If this 6500M can fit in the laptop, can I high end 6990M be able to physically fit inside the case (I don't know how the temps would be though...). Are all mobile GPU's the same size (for a PCIe slot).

I also assume that there is no traditional PSU in a laptop...would a high end mobile GPU be able to get enough power? I know the mobo regulates the voltages and whatnot, but there is no big brick with a wattage rating in a laptop....
Edit: from the laptop's specs, it says it has 120W, which is not a lot....

Finally, if a Radeon 6950/70/90 M is the same size as any other mobile card and can fit in the case, in addition to it getting enough power, where would I buy one? Newegg does not sell mobile GPU's.

Thanks guys