[SOLVED] can i switch my intel atom to a Intel i9 9900k?

Jan 15, 2019
Im using a really old laptop and it has a 32 bit system.
Im also using linux mint so.... I cant do anything since there are barely any apps that support linux periord, let alone 32 bit linux. and the atom is EXTREMELY slow and i'd like to switch it out, pls help

Solution

No you can't make that CPU change. Among many other reasons, that Atom CPU is soldered directly to the motherboard.

And "barely any apps that support linux" ? There are thousands. Maybe not what you want to run, but there are many.

USAFRet

Titan

No you can't make that CPU change. Among many other reasons, that Atom CPU is soldered directly to the motherboard.

And "barely any apps that support linux" ? There are thousands. Maybe not what you want to run, but there are many.

Solution
Jan 15, 2019

Can you make any suggestions then? I'm looking for a cheap and fast laptop with enough space to save alot of files, I'd prefer it be under 300 USD, thanks :D

USAFRet

Titan

Cheap
Fast
Laptop

Choose 2 of the 3.
At the $300 level, "fast" and "laptop" do not go together.

dieboy

Honorable
May 18, 2013
There are budget laptops out there for between 400 and 600 that perform decently. When you dip into the 300s, you are looking at a laptop that can browse the web, and maybe stream some stuff. Most likely it will not come with allot of storage.
What @USAFRet said is correct.