Question Can i switch the switches in a mouse?

Abbas_Dhd

Reputable
Dec 17, 2016
so i've been having some problems with my mouse lately. The mouse click doesn't feel as good as it used to, it feels like im applying more force to it than i was before.
so i was wondering if it possible to switch/ change the switches of mouse with better ones just like we do in mechanical keyboard.

and if it is possible what switches would you suggest?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Normally, the switches are just some version of MicroSwitch, and are soldered directly to a PC board.

Yes. The switches can be replaced, but your replacement options are pretty limited. Normally, it's not the switch itself that is giving you the change in feel--it's the switch actuator that is molded into the bottom of the mouse button that you depress.

The actuators can be trimmed and built back up with epoxy, to restore the original feel; but, it's an involved process which requires some precision, and a lot of re-assembly and testing, then disassembly and adjustment, to get it right.

Wash, rinse, repeat....until you get the feel you want.

Reactions: CountMike

Abbas_Dhd

Reputable
Dec 17, 2016
Normally, the switches are just some version of MicroSwitch, and are soldered directly to a PC board.

Yes. The switches can be replaced, but your replacement options are pretty limited. Normally, it's not the switch itself that is giving you the change in feel--it's the switch actuator that is molded into the bottom of the mouse button that you depress.
if you are talking about the spring inside the switch, then yeah i've tried to fix it in other mouse but ended up breaking it, i'll try it it in this mouse of course but if i break it again this time i have to buy a new switch

Jun 20, 2019
so i've been having some problems with my mouse lately. The mouse click doesn't feel as good as it used to, it feels like im applying more force to it than i was before.
so i was wondering if it possible to switch/ change the switches of mouse with better ones just like we do in mechanical keyboard.

and if it is possible what switches would you suggest?
Thanks!
You can, probably what you feel different it's not the switches but the bottom of the plastic part you press to click that wore off, i have seen people rebuild it but i don't think it's worth it to be honest, i would rather buy a new mouse, the same brand and model, or just get used to it.

And the Switches can be repaired, there are 2 ways of repairing your switches:
  1. Opening the component and bending the little metal piece until it gets the shape it originally had.
  2. Get a swithces donor, desolder the old ones and solder the donor ones instead.
I have succesfuly done both of these options and i would recommend the second one more, but if you can, just buy another mouse.

if you are talking about the spring inside the switch, then yeah i've tried to fix it in other mouse
Nope.
If you have an issue with the MicroSwitch, itself, then you need to replace it (examples: https://www.ebay.com/i/123659223437?chn=ps and https://www.ebay.com/i/143197802825?chn=ps ), because attempting to repair the actual switch is a waste of time.

Ninety-nine percent of the time, you will have issues with wearing in the molded plastic pieces that actually come into contact with the MicroSwitch, itself--the plastic pieces that are associated with the external mouse button--which are far easier to deal with.

Abbas_Dhd

Reputable
Dec 17, 2016
You can, probably what you feel different it's not the switches but the bottom of the plastic part you press to click that wore off, i have seen people rebuild it but i don't think it's worth it to be honest, i would rather buy a new mouse, the same brand and model, or just get used to it.

And the Switches can be repaired, there are 2 ways of repairing your switches:
  1. Opening the component and bending the little metal piece until it gets the shape it originally had.
  2. Get a switches donor, desolder the old ones and solder the donor ones instead.
I have successfully done both of these options and i would recommend the second one more, but if you can, just buy another mouse.

I've already opened the mouse and now I'm sure that its the switch i compared both LMB and RMB and left click isn't clicky.
I'm definitely looking to do 2nd option. i just want same switch.

Abbas_Dhd

Reputable
Dec 17, 2016
Nope.
If you have an issue with the MicroSwitch, itself, then you need to replace it (examples: https://www.ebay.com/i/123659223437?chn=ps and https://www.ebay.com/i/143197802825?chn=ps ), because attempting to repair the actual switch is a waste of time.

Ninety-nine percent of the time, you will have issues with wearing in the molded plastic pieces that actually come into contact with the MicroSwitch, itself--the plastic pieces that are associated with the external mouse button--which are far easier to deal with.
that's what I'm looking for!