Can I take a hard drive from one PC and put it in another?

RaptureWS

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I am not the best with computers so sorry if this is a silly question.

Computer A (my good gaming rig) is stuck in a Startup loop that I can not fix.

Computer B(my wifes browsing PC) is fine.

Pc B does not run video games very well. Can I take the hard drive from her PC and put it into PC A so I can play games? I think I read that Windows is tied to the motherboard so I wouldn't be able to do that without running into issues. Another issue is that PC A has Windows 7 and PC B has Windows 8. If there is anyway to do this I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Winly

Distinguished
the way you want it, it will not work. you just cant get a hard drive from another computer and put it in one PC and expect it to work. it will give you conflicts because of different components, such as, CPU, mobo etc.

RaptureWS

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
That's what I was afraid of but I kind of thought so. Her PC has an AMD A8-5500 Quad Core processor. Could I put my GTX 560 (non Ti) in this PC at least? That and the RAM if compatible?

Winly

Distinguished

as long as her mobo has a PCI-E slot you will be fine. most pc nowadays have it. but why dont you do a windows repair in your pc? if the computer wont boot into windows do a repair, maybe it will help

RaptureWS

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I don't have a Windows disk or I would. Startup repair can't find the issue.
I found a "tutorial" to fix the Startup repair loop. Upon following the steps and restarting my PC I have somehow lost the option to even access the Command Prompt, System Restore, etc.

Windows will not boot in Safe Mode either. It just takes me back to startup repair as well. My only real option is to get a Windows disc and go from there I believe.

Winly

Distinguished

I guess you need to star by getting the disc.