[SOLVED] Can I take advantage of blocked pcie slots with extenders to add more GPUs?

Aug 19, 2019
Hi, I'm a 3D artist using Octane. More GPUs equals faster renders for me so more the merrier.

I've got 3 1080ti shoved in already and two "old" Titan Xs lying around.

There are 3 pcie slots that are unused but blocked by the double-width cards.

My question is: Can I connect 2 more GPUs via pcie extenders, if I run them out between the cards?

My motherboard is an ASUS X99E

I have an additional power supply if nessesary.

Fully expecting to hear this is a bad idea.

More elegant solutions/suggestions would be great too

Solution
I will not start out by saying that that is a "bad idea".

What I will say is that that the applicable factors are the hardware requirements for Octane.

Be those requirements GPU, CPU, RAM.....

E.g.:

https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/faqs/

Your system overall will only perform at the rate of the slowest component.

And adding GPU's extenders and/or PSU power may not result in proportional system response.

E.g., you double GPU and PSU and then overall performance (rendering) increases fractionally. Low ROI, more complex, higher costs

Use Octane's requirements as a guide.

Likely little harm in trying as long as you preserve the ability to "undo" changes that go astray and undo the expected performance gains.

Ralston18

Titan
I will not start out by saying that that is a "bad idea".

What I will say is that that the applicable factors are the hardware requirements for Octane.

Be those requirements GPU, CPU, RAM.....

E.g.:

https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/faqs/

Your system overall will only perform at the rate of the slowest component.

And adding GPU's extenders and/or PSU power may not result in proportional system response.

E.g., you double GPU and PSU and then overall performance (rendering) increases fractionally. Low ROI, more complex, higher costs

Use Octane's requirements as a guide.

Likely little harm in trying as long as you preserve the ability to "undo" changes that go astray and undo the expected performance gains.

Reactions: Dorite
Solution

TRENDING THREADS