[SOLVED] Can i test my motherboard and system without having screws in standoffs?

Oct 20, 2019
I soldmy screws with my old mobo. Damn it. But just to check the system once, can i run it with my case flat and motherboard being unscrewed to the case standoffs? Or is it a nono?

Thanks

Will have to go tomorrow and find the right screws for my zalman r1 case.

Solution
The stand-offs are there to prevent shorts between the motherboard and the case's motherboard tray. Putting power to a motherboard laying inside a case could cause major damage to the motherboard. It is NOT recommended.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
The stand-offs are there to prevent shorts between the motherboard and the case's motherboard tray. Putting power to a motherboard laying inside a case could cause major damage to the motherboard. It is NOT recommended.

-Wolf sends

Solution
I soldmy screws with my old mobo. Damn it. But just to check the system once, can i run it with my case flat and motherboard being unscrewed to the case standoffs? Or is it a nono?

Thanks

Will have to go tomorrow and find the right screws for my zalman r1 case.

Laying the board flat on the metal bottom of the case could, and probably will, short out electrical contacts on the bottom of the board.

You can do something called 'bread boarding' the system by hooking everything up OUTSIDE the case, though. That's a very good early-build test strategy to make sure all parts are good before the hassle of installing just to remove a defective 'thing' again. You can set up everything and even install the OS and run some tests.

Just set the motherboard on a cardboard box or cotton towel (absolutely not the conductive bag it came in!) and then connect everything and power it up.

Reactions: zaman25