Question Can I track down how 14 GB of S.S.D. storage suddenly became free?

Metallica93

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
I have a 128 GB S.S.D. that had been running out of room. I reinstalled a game on it yesterday (~10 GB) and it Gwent back down to ~1B free, as expected.

Today, though, it has a not-insignificant ~14.9 GB free. Given how small this drive is, I'm a bit alarmed as I have no idea what the hell was removed/uninstalled. It couldn't have been temporary files as I ran Disk Cleanup 1-2 weeks ago and it found megabytes of data to clean up, not gigabytes.

How can I track down what I lost?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can't. But thats assuming something was actually lost. There's multiple parts of windows that reserves storage space for its own use, such as pagefile.sys and if the boxes are checked to allow windows to manage the pagefile by itself, it can also move itself to another drive, if there isn't sufficient space. And you filled the drive to 1Gb free.

You have a 128Gb ssd. Make sure hybernation, hybrid sleep is disabled. That'll free up 75% of the ram size on storage.

You have a 128Gb ssd. It should Never run that close to full, you should be leaving 12Gb to 20Gb minimum open, just for stuff like pagefile.sys, TRIM etc.