Can I transfer apps & files onto laptop, install OS, return apps/files again??

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
What I want to do is change out the OS on my SSD for my PC. I want to dump everything on that SSD onto my laptop, and then install the OS on the SSD while it is bare and clean.

Can I do that, and then get all of the apps and files back on the SSD the way they were before? Or what should I expect?

Tanks much appreciated

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
So with all of the apps and software, does it just reinstall when I transfer them back onto the PC SSD, or do I need to download each one online, and then delete the previous folders for the apps and softwear? Is that weird?

You need the installation file for every program that you use. Then, you need to install each program. No - you can't just copy or move the program folder from one computer to another. It just doesn't work that way. In regards to files, I mean your personal files, such as, pictures, videos, Word, Excel, etc. There can be copied/moved from one computer to another.

USAFRet

Titan

"Can I do that, and then get all of the apps..."

Nope.

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
How about all of the google tabs I had open for my projects. I work on 6-10 monitors, and I do a lot of research. Normally when the computer crashes, all of those tabs are saved. Is there a file in the google app that has all of those tabs?

Does anyone know how to restore the google tabs I had before this "train wreck" occurred? Thaskn a lot.

USAFRet

Titan

You can export all the setting from your browser.
Save that somewhere.
Later, import into the new OS and browser settings.

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Hi, Air Force. Thanks for all the help. Best on the web, and I'll send the guests.

When I want to use those browser settings to affect the browser, I just put the files in the other folders for the new browser? Where to I paste the files at?

USAFRet

Titan

Each browser, Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, whichever...has their own procedures for export and import.