[SOLVED] Can I transfer files to a new system drive by putting it into another computer?

chrismeraz

Commendable
May 28, 2016
I have a brand new Window 10 laptop. I want to transfer all the files from my desktop to the new laptop, but I'm having some trouble. Here's what I did:

1. I removed the C: drive (SSD) from my laptop, put it in my desktop computer, and copied all my documents to it.

2. I removed the SSD from my desktop computer and put it back into the laptop.

Now the laptop works just fine but I still can't find any of my documents on it. Is there something wrong with this process?

Thanks!

Solution

So you have:
PC named pc1 with user account named user1 and
PC named pc2 with user account named user2.

You want to share a folder on pc1 and for it to be accessible by user2 from pc2.

1. create user account named user2 on pc1.
If you set password of this newly created user2@pc1 to same password as user2@pc2 has, then access to shared resource will not require input of password. If you don't know the password, then you set password to whatever you want, but you'll have to input this password, when accessing shared...

chrismeraz

Commendable
May 28, 2016
I'll try the network transfer.

So how did "Fast Boot" affect this process? I'm wondering if I transfer the new SSD back to my desktop to erase those files even though they're completely invisible and apparently not taking any space when I see the same SSD from the laptop.

chrismeraz

Commendable
May 28, 2016
I have never been able to set up a network transfer. I've been trying for hours now. It's always asking for a password, but I don't have any passwords set up on any of my computers. I've turned off the password option in network sharing options. I've tried private network and public. I've tried putting the files in my public folder, but it's still invisible on the other computer. I've been looking all over the internet for instructions, but none of the instructions match the menus that I see in my windows settings pages. I am very frustrated.

Just load the files into a flash drive on the desktop and transfer to the ssd. No need to fool around with ssdrive installs

chrismeraz

Commendable
May 28, 2016

I'm doing my best, but I can't find any instructions on how to do this. Same users with same passwords, you mean user accounts? So I literally can't share files with another person's computer on the same network?

Microsoft I hate you, Christ Almighty.

I'm going to take the drive out again, turn off Fast Boot, and do it the old-fashioned way.

So you have:
PC named pc1 with user account named user1 and
PC named pc2 with user account named user2.

You want to share a folder on pc1 and for it to be accessible by user2 from pc2.

1. create user account named user2 on pc1.
If you set password of this newly created user2@pc1 to same password as user2@pc2 has, then access to shared resource will not require input of password. If you don't know the password, then you set password to whatever you want, but you'll have to input this password, when accessing shared folder.
2. share folder on pc1 (using advanced sharing).
3. access shared folder (on pc1) from pc2.
That's it.

Solution

chrismeraz

Commendable
May 28, 2016
I finally solved it by following a process called "Map Network Drive."

Never could figure out how to share files otherwise. I really appreciate your help though.