Can I transfer information from one internal HDD to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I want to transfer whats on my current internal HDD to another internal HDD. I plan on installing the other internal HDD. I know you can do this with external HDD but is there any way to transfer my information between the 2 internal hard drives and if so, how?

Reason I'm transferring them is because I accidentally broke the sata connector on the Hard Drive. Now it is EXTREMELY loose and I want to save my data now rather than risking it.

Solution
Doing a direct transfer would involve creating a disc image of the current boot drive. You can do this with programs like Acronis.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

However, I would probably disconnect the current boot drive, reinstall the OS on the new drive, reconnect the old boot drive, and transfer whatever data you want to the new boot drive. I never think it's a great idea to transfer an old installation to a new HDD.

dg

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
If I'm understanding you correctly you have an open drive bay and you plan to install a 2nd HDD in that bay. Once you've got two drives in there, there's no reason why you can't transfer your data to the second drive. But: Are you transferring (either copying or moving) just data (documents, music, movies, etc.) or are you trying to move your entire OS installation? If you're just copying or moving data you can just use Windows Explorer (I am assuming you're on Windows). But moving the OS is considerably trickier. Please clarify.

dg

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Yes my computer currently has Windows 7 and 1 hard drive.

I want to install another hard drive and transfer EVERYTHING including the OS onto the new hard drive. Is that possible?

Thanks for your response.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Doing a direct transfer would involve creating a disc image of the current boot drive. You can do this with programs like Acronis.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

However, I would probably disconnect the current boot drive, reinstall the OS on the new drive, reconnect the old boot drive, and transfer whatever data you want to the new boot drive. I never think it's a great idea to transfer an old installation to a new HDD.

dg

Solution

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
you can clone it. I use Acronis to do it. Just boot from CD and there is an option to clone the drive.

another way is to install everything (OS, apps, games, drivers) and then copy your personal stuff (docs, photos, movies).

D

Deleted member 217926

All you have to do is install the new drive, format it then start copying and pasteing. Easy as pie. I have 5 hard drives ( well 1 is an SSD ) in my computer and swap files all the time between them. It will just show up as a new drive letter in MY Computer.

D

Deleted member 217926

I saw no mention of the OS. He said information. But you are correct. If he needs to copy a Windows install Acronis will work. Should have read that better.

tomscjz

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.