[SOLVED] Can I transfer my old HDD and SSD to my new pc to make it a "clone"

buzz3470

Honorable
May 1, 2016
This is a stupid question which I think I know the answer to, but can I transfer my old drives to my new pc? I basically just want my new pc to be exactly how my old pc was before i switched over. My new pc has completely different and new hardware. I know the data storage on the drives can be read on the new pc but don't think the setup can be. I'm assuming its hardware specific, but if there is a way around this to almost clone my new pc like my old one. Along with the 2 drives, I also bought a M.2 to reinstall windows onto. When I go into the BIOS, it won't even recognize the other drives as bootable. Can I do some type of cloud storage, then wipe my drives, transfer the drives over to the new pc, and finally download from the cloud. Or will that not work. I'm not sure how well I explained myself, but I'll try to clarify the best I can if you have questions. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Can I transfer my old HDD and SSD to my new pc to make it a "clone"

I basically just want my new pc to be exactly how my old pc was before i switched over.

No.

With all new hardware and the old drive+OS, there are 3 possible outcomes.
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It works, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

#1 is the least likely to happen.

USAFRet

Titan
Can I transfer my old HDD and SSD to my new pc to make it a "clone"

I basically just want my new pc to be exactly how my old pc was before i switched over.

No.

With all new hardware and the old drive+OS, there are 3 possible outcomes.
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It works, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

#1 is the least likely to happen.

Solution