[SOLVED] Can I transfer my old laptops secondary HDD to a new laptops empty HDD slot?

Jan 23, 2020
My laptop has recently died, it had been giving me BSOD and now when trying to turn it on the lights just flash and nothing happens.

The laptop had a 280GB sata drive as the main drive and a 1TB 7200rpm storage HDD. Im looking at buying a new laptop with a similar setup that comes with an empty hdd storage spot to accompany its ssd. I want to know if i can safely move the old HDD into the new laptop without losing all the files/games etc. that i had on this old drive, and will this be a smooth transition or will I need to do more than just physically install the drive? It was only about halfway full and seemed to be in good condition.

Solution
the files can be transferred no issue. the steam library can be mapped to the old folder and steam will continue from there.
other installed programs and games (installed to the HDD being moved) will need to be installed again. the new windows will not have the system files and registry edits needed to enable the games/apps to run under new windows (these edits are made during installation to windows). installing the programs/non-steam games again to the same spot on the HDD will enable the system to use them.

files-no issue
steam-remap the library in settings
other games and programs-will need installation again to the same spot on the drive, after install they should run under the new windows.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the files can be transferred no issue. the steam library can be mapped to the old folder and steam will continue from there.
other installed programs and games (installed to the HDD being moved) will need to be installed again. the new windows will not have the system files and registry edits needed to enable the games/apps to run under new windows (these edits are made during installation to windows). installing the programs/non-steam games again to the same spot on the HDD will enable the system to use them.

files-no issue
steam-remap the library in settings
other games and programs-will need installation again to the same spot on the drive, after install they should run under the new windows.

Reactions: Juuj
Solution
Jan 23, 2020
Thanks R_1. So just to be clear, I will be reinstalling programs using the install/setup files in their respective folders that are on the old HDD? Will non-steam games and other software retain my settings/saves/product codes etc.?
Sorry if these are stupid questions I'm new to all this.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the install package is not on the drive. for MS word for example you would need the installer used to install it in the first place. then all settings and preferences would be preserved. if the installed version is old and you cannot get the same version be aware updated versions may change your settings, but your files made with them should remain.

non-steam games/ programs would need to be re-installed to even work with the new OS. the codes, saves and etc should remain. when installing make sure you direct the install to the HDD with the previous install, this will force windows to use the old files/saves/codes/etc.

no problems. sorry if my explanation is confusing.

Reactions: Juuj