[SOLVED] Can I transfer ONLY my OS to my new SSD and leave my files on the HDD.?

Seamus McGinley

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2015
Hi all,

I got a new 1TB M.2 nvme Samsung 970 Evo Plus, I want to transfer my OS to the new SSD but leave my files on the HDD.

I’ve over 1TB on the HDD so I cannot just clone the entire C drive to my SSD using the Samsung migration software, is there any easier way to do this?

Thank you

Solution
2 options:

1. Reduce used space on HDD by deleting, moving user files (like videos, music, pics, documents), uninstalling software until used space is below 900GB. Then you can clone.
or
2. Clean windows install on new drive (with old drive disconnected). After install is done, connect old HDD and delete windows OS files from it.

It usually is possible to reuse game libraries (depending on game clients used). With Steam and Blizzard launcher it definitely is possible.
2 options:

1. Reduce used space on HDD by deleting, moving user files (like videos, music, pics, documents), uninstalling software until used space is below 900GB. Then you can clone.
or
2. Clean windows install on new drive (with old drive disconnected). After install is done, connect old HDD and delete windows OS files from it.

It usually is possible to reuse game libraries (depending on game clients used). With Steam and Blizzard launcher it definitely is possible.

Solution