[SOLVED] Can I transfer the 'Windows' folder in (C:) to an SSD in order to make Windows boot from the SSD?

Mar 6, 2019
Hi all, this question might sound stupid to those with more experience than I, but can I avoid reinstalling Windows by simply moving the Windows folder in (C: ) to my SSD, or is a reinstall of Windows basically unavoidable to get it to boot from my SSD (but keep my files on the HDD)? I essentially just want to speed up the booting process but store my system files on my hard drive.

My system:
Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.85Ghz
16GB mixed DDR4 RAM
GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 mobo
Gigabyte 128GB M.2-2280 SSD
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD
ASUS Expedition OC 1060 6GB

Solution
"System Files" are part of the OS and cannot be pulled separate. As long as SSD size is >= existing C: use SSD vendor util to clone. After a successful clone and boot verified on SSD, u may obliterate/reformat old HD's C: for use something else.
"System Files" are part of the OS and cannot be pulled separate. As long as SSD size is >= existing C: use SSD vendor util to clone. After a successful clone and boot verified on SSD, u may obliterate/reformat old HD's C: for use something else.

Solution

me45424

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
there is a program called mini-tool partition wizard, free download,
it can be used to move w10 from one drive to another,
you select source and destination , then tell it to do it
it first copies some stuff from source to destination, installs temp non windows boot, then it has to restart
the system move itself has to be done outside of windows so when it restarts it runs the temp boot which completes moving the op system and everything else to the new drive
make sure the destination can hold everything on your old system drive, the time it takes depends on how much is on your source drive, and the drive(s) speeds
i have used this many times to migrate w10 from drives with a lot of hours to newer or bigger drives, and all programs and data or intact.
there is a built in tutorial on how to do all this , and the mini-tool will also do a lot more
you defiantly dont want to lose power so a battery back-up would be wise