[SOLVED] Can I turn my Windows 10 install into an active DHCP server?

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Hi All,
I'm trying to turn my current windows 10 Pro install into an active DHCP server.
I've installed the DHCP software included with windows. I'm trying to set it up as server but I seem to need a server already to do it.
Right click on DHCP
Click "add server"

Is the only answer to this to run a virtual machine with Hyper-V which requires a licensed ISO of a second operating system?

Can I not just turn my current Windows 10 install into the active DCHP server?

Thank you for the help!

Solution
I have not kept track of which feature microsoft has in which editions of windows. They really want to force you to a server license for some function. The DCHP server function in microsoft server is integrated with their active directory and domain service function. Although they could strip out the DHCP server function they want their money.

I have not looked but are there not third party programs that can do this or has microsoft rigged it so these somehow do not function on certain version of win10. I know you can get things like FTP servers and they work fine.

If all else fails many people use a raspberry pi to do stuff like this and those devices are extremely cheap.
I have not kept track of which feature microsoft has in which editions of windows. They really want to force you to a server license for some function. The DCHP server function in microsoft server is integrated with their active directory and domain service function. Although they could strip out the DHCP server function they want their money.

I have not looked but are there not third party programs that can do this or has microsoft rigged it so these somehow do not function on certain version of win10. I know you can get things like FTP servers and they work fine.

If all else fails many people use a raspberry pi to do stuff like this and those devices are extremely cheap.

Solution

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

It seems you are correct. While Windows 10 has AD, DHCP and DNS features built in, I keep ending up needing a real server to create my DHCP server.