[SOLVED] Can I turn on Prime B550-plus motherboard without CPU?

mohsenz200

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
Hi guys,
I've recently bought an Asus Prime B550-plus motherboard. I also have other components like ram, GPU, PSU and SSD drive.
I just don't have cpu yet but I want to test the motherboard and PSU to find out if they work fine.
So I've connected everythin and when I plug in the PSU cable and turn on there power button on the back of the PSU, the motherboard led turns on.
But when I push the power button on the case, nothing happens. I mean nothing. Even the case fan does not start spinning.
That is why I'm worried that either motherboard or the PSU is broken.
I have an old gigabyte ddr3 motherboard that turns on without a cpu for a second. All the fans start spinning and then it keeps restarting.
So please help me to figure out if there is any problem with my new system.
I should add that power sw is connected correctly and I know that my motherboard doesn't support bios flashback. I just want to check PSU and motherboard.
Thanks in advance.

mohsenz200

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
Technical = It will not work until you have all of the relevant parts.

The fact that it does not function without all the relevant parts does not mean something is broken.
You're probably right. I'm just worried because of my experience with my old motherboard.

Nighthawk117

Notable
Sep 27, 2021
Hi guys,
I've recently bought an Asus Prime B550-plus motherboard. I also have other components like ram, GPU, PSU and SSD drive.
I just don't have cpu yet but I want to test the motherboard and PSU to find out if they work fine.
So I've connected everythin and when I plug in the PSU cable and turn on there power button on the back of the PSU, the motherboard led turns on.
But when I push the power button on the case, nothing happens. I mean nothing. Even the case fan does not start spinning.
That is why I'm worried that either motherboard or the PSU is broken.
I have an old gigabyte ddr3 motherboard that turns on without a cpu for a second. All the fans start spinning and then it keeps restarting.
So please help me to figure out if there is any problem with my new system.
I should add that power sw is connected correctly and I know that my motherboard doesn't support bios flashback. I just want to check PSU and motherboard.
Thanks in advance.
You could probably update the bios without the CPU and RAM installed, I think this is common on newer AMD and Intel boards, but nothing else would work.

Reactions: mohsenz200

mohsenz200

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
A few minutes ago I watched videos on YouTube and in all of the motherboard powers on for a few moments without CPU and all connected fans spin and then it powers off.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS