can i undervolt a GTX 1080 to lower tempertures ?

therios

Proper
May 3, 2018
can i undervolt a gtx 1080 to lower the temps without losing any performance or increasing the fan speed ?

Solution
You can use MSI Afterburner to limit the temperature the graphics card is able to reach.

Once the specified temperature the card will throttle itself to a comfortable level.

You could also limit the power limit to something lower, like 70%.

I run my graphics cards at 70% power limit with a maximum temperature of 70°C

I have my Geforce 1060s overclocked to +150 on the core clock and +750 on the memory clock.

Not sure why icraft is saying you can't overclock.

http://xtrememehardware.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/guru3d-msi-afterburner-442-725x454.png

To get a picture of what I'm talking about

(Just a random picture of MSI Afterburner)

therios

Proper
May 3, 2018

a friends Gtx 1080 is running at 75c while gaming and he doesnt tend to like it
so will undervolting get it to stay under 70c while maintaining the same performance ?

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Tell him to stop looking at the temperature, problem solved.
Seriously, have some faith in the manufacturers and don't mess about with it. If it get's too hot the fans will speed up, and if that doesn't work it'll throttle itself. 75c is not excessive for a GPU, mine doesn't even turn the fan on if it's under 60c and you can't hear it at 75c. Get into the 80s though and then the fan starts to crank up.

Nvidia GPUs don't even care under 80c. Running up through the 80s is totally safe, and even lower 90s are ok for these GPUs. And again, there is no normal way to [strike]overclock[/strike] undervolt this new generation of GPUs either.

You can use MSI Afterburner to limit the temperature the graphics card is able to reach.

Once the specified temperature the card will throttle itself to a comfortable level.

You could also limit the power limit to something lower, like 70%.

I run my graphics cards at 70% power limit with a maximum temperature of 70°C

I have my Geforce 1060s overclocked to +150 on the core clock and +750 on the memory clock.

Not sure why icraft is saying you can't overclock.

http://xtrememehardware.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/guru3d-msi-afterburner-442-725x454.png

To get a picture of what I'm talking about

(Just a random picture of MSI Afterburner)

Solution

My bad there, my brain got ahead of my fingers. Meant there is no way to undervolt. If he limits his temperature or power limit, or even underclocks his card he will probably lose performance. There is no way to make the GPU run cooler without losing some performance, and since the 10 series is more than fine at 80c he has nothing to worry about.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Without knowing any other details, it might be worthwhile to post a few details about the setup.

What resolution and games? What fan curve is being used? Case/size format/fans/psu….and more.

The MSI GTX 1080 I just purchased and installed uses a fan curve that doesn't even turn the fans on until over 60C. With one click on the install of Afterburner it allowed for them to run all the time on a modified fan curve and lowered case temps significantly. The speed and profile of the card as well as case fans, dust, number of drives and many other factors can change things drastically.

That is true.

Limiting power or temperature directly impacts frame rates.

The only way to get higher fps with cool temperatures is to give your case better cooling (more/faster/louder fans or water cooling) and or reduce ambient temperatures (turn the ac lower in the house).

therios I had a reference 980 Ti, and it always reached a max temp of 83C. I never gave it much thought. My single fan EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming card reaches the low 70s while I'm gaming, and that's with an open case. I never worried about that card either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

derekullo Nice rig.

It's for mining ... Shhhhh

therios

Proper
May 3, 2018

i wish if i can afford a mining rig lol