Question Can i unscrew my cpu heatsink off from the other side while the cpu fan is still in place and that way try to access the clip holding it?

Jun 27, 2023
I was going to upgrade my cpu and wanted to make sure i knew what i would be doing because i bought the pc used a while back. I noticed the cpu heatsink was really close to the gpu like basically touching the back plate of it so i couldn't get to the other clip holding the cpu fan in place. I can't really take out the gpu because the latch is under the gpu in a spot really hard to access. I thought if i could unscrew the other screw where the heatsink is mounted to the motherboard i could try to wiggle it a bit more out from near the gpu and maybe that way get to the other fan clip. I don't know if i should try to do this as i couldn't find anyone else who has done this and every video of removing the cooler they first take out the fan and then the heatsink. Will doing this be harmful in any way?

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
I have similar problems releasing the latch on the PCIe socket holding my GPU with the CPU heat sink fitted. The Noctua NH-D15 is very close to the backplate of the GPU and it's almost impossible to get my fingers under the GPU to release the latch.

I saw a hint from someone saying they use the end of a plastic chopstick to spring the latch securing their GPU.

If you shine a torch down the side of your GPU, you might be able to see the side of the latch underneath the GPU and press down on it using a chopstick.

This is safer than poking the latch with a metal screwdriver. One slip and you've gouged the the motherboard.

Of course you could still do some damage with a chopstick if you use too much force, but it might work.

I'm thankful I can remove the NH-D15 quite easily by pulling out the central fan to access two screws with a long cross head screwdriver. When the heatsink removed, it's easy to unplug the GPU.